painting exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

painting exhaust

I want to paint my exhaust pipe flat black like some Mustangs have. Has anyone done this, and what kind of hi-temp paint do I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe someone last year did paint their pipe. i dont remember who, but did you try searching? jus the highest temp paint you could find would probably work

do a search... there is a thread about it here somewere.

just make sure it is all clean, and use some high temp paint.

yep i was that person! i did it useing engine paint i got from advanced auto. i cleaned it well and layed on the paint. not all of it will stay on there for ever. it was on there for about 4 months and looking good. now it is just black but doesn't shine like it did. still looks good though. better than rust

Yeah, I always search first but couldn't find it.
I figured high temp engine enamel but I wasn't sure if there was some special paint someone used.

why not just get the pipe cut and turned down in front of the axel then you can't see it so it won't matter if it rust turns purple or anything? just a sugestion. (thats how i did mine about 4 months ago

Well, for one thing, that's probably illegal on an SUV. I know side exit in front of the axle is illegal because they think fumes would enter the cab. Now, turndowns in front of the axle...I don't know about that.

Besides turndowns tend to make the exhaust louder and I don't want that.

dumped

Originally posted by dariley83
why not just get the pipe cut and turned down in front of the axel then you can't see it so it won't matter if it rust turns purple or anything? just a sugestion. (thats how i did mine about 4 months ago

I did that to mine I love the sound I dont have a cat though. so mine is pretty loud. I know its legal in Mississippi.

Back