• Register Today It's free!

painting exterior body trim Q

dino11

Reaction score
City, State
Princeton, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 exploder
i have a 2002 ex. it is white, with the hideous faded grey-ish body moulding, fender flares, and bumper covers... the gray has faded and is now mostly a light gray and is not a consistent color throughout. i love the look of the all white explorers that have thebody molding color matched...

has anyone done this? i searched but couldnt find anything.. i have done some painting before, but mostly on smaller items like interior panels etc, and this job intimidates me....

i would like to do this if i could gather info. thanks!!

Hey there,

In my experience in auto painting:

The problem with painting plastic (especially bumper covers) is it tends to chip after a while if you don't use top-quality primers and paint. I painted the bumper trim on my old Ranger at first using Rustoleum. After about a week, rock chips and scratches revealed the ugly grey beneath. I then purchased some sherwin-williams urethane primer and single-stage urethane topcoat (all of which were intended for plastic trim) and sprayed them in my garage. After about a week of curing, the urethane hardened enough to resist chips and scrathes.

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. The paint was too expensive to justify the final look; I just didn't want to do weekly touch ups with rattle-cans.

Hope this helps,

ERUSH

With some paint's (including primers) it's necessary to use the proper "Flex Agent". However, some modern topcoats are flexible enough to be used on there own.

Back