• Register Today It's free!

Painting Interior Door Panels?

Bryang1012

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, been thinking here about painting parts of my door panels. I have a 98 explorer xlt with a tan interior. Been thinking that since there is some black already like the bezel, speedometer and other stuff, painting some parts black would be ok. When I got it, the plastic parts i guess started to wear out on me due to wind, and it looks like crap. Has anyone done it yet? I'd most likely do some of the other trim pieces throughout the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Decided to do some of the pieces along the doors. Painted them black, I kind've like the way they turned out. Also painted the explorer pads, did some vacuuming while they were out too!

Also plasti dipped the black part of the center console, I'm liking how the velvet-like crap is covered.

I'm thinking of doing more later. I'm still cautious of the doors, I don't want to do them bad and then be stuck with it

I had a buddy who dyed his door panels in his 1991 GMC Sonoma. Not sure on how he applied it, or what exact product he used, but the brand was SEM.

His end results were great. Colors were spot on or very close. He might have even shot some dash pieces, or the whole dash.

I'm thinking of doing more later. I'm still cautious of the doors, I don't want to do them bad and then be stuck with it

You can peal off plastidip.

Plasti dip is great... If it comes out like crap it will peal off... Just make sure you put enough coats on so it's nice and thick so it holds up better... And if it comes out like crap it will peal off better

You can peal off plastidip.

Plasti dip is great... If it comes out like crap it will peal off... Just make sure you put enough coats on so it's nice and thick so it holds up better... And if it comes out like crap it will peal off better

Yeah, I'm thinking of just plasti-dipping the parts where the scratches are, and two-toning my door like I saw someone else do. I'm not too sure who did it though:/
xeHVh09l.jpg

Painted some more stuff, Used paint and a clear coat. Turned out pretty nice.
nGqjEHYl.jpg

Took out the trim I already did, and I'll recoat it some more and do some clear coats too in the morning before work so they can dry. I also get my new Pioneer radio, new tires and a hatch wiper blade and motor to install tomorrow :D

Yeah, I'm thinking of just plasti-dipping the parts where the scratches are, and two-toning my door like I saw someone else do. I'm not too sure who did it though:/

Took out the trim I already did, and I'll recoat it some more and do some clear coats too in the morning before work so they can dry. I also get my new Pioneer radio, new tires and a hatch wiper blade and motor to install tomorrow :D

Looks good, try it out.

And just a little tip, when posting images from imgur, put a lower case "L" right before .jpg in the link. It will make the image smaller and easier to view on the forum.

xeHVh09l.jpg

Painted some more stuff, Used paint and a clear coat. Turned out pretty nice.
nGqjEHYl.jpg

Sorry to necro. Did you ever finish this? I am thinking about painting the trim black in my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer and this looks amazing. Wondering what the whole interior would look like black.

Thanks

Is adhesion promoter recommended when using the duplicolor?

I used that stuff with good result with a good cleaning with alcohol for prep. You got to get oils, Armor All etc. off and then it will stick very well.

Would that hold up for long term use on the center console lid? I'm using a replacement that's in great shape but it's the wrong color.

I have not used it in a high wear area like an arm rest or center consul, but I do think it will work. If it wears off you could always recoat it.

I used some of the peel paint, it does not adhere as well to plastics and vinyl, and unless you put a thick coat on it does not peel very easy.

The longest lasting *paint* for vinyl, at least inexpensive and readily available, is rattle can vinyl dye. It chemically bonds and seeps into the surface so it can't flake off, but remember you are working with very old vinyl so it may eventually crack anyway.

I always thought a great change for the console lid would be pull the stock foam, put memory foam in its place, then cover with upholstery leather. It is not that hard to do, wet the leather, stretch to fit but leave a bit loose to shrink to fit, then clamp till it dries and then staple or glue, etc.

For like $16 you can get oem color center console lid (synthetic leather) covers....look actually look pretty good....key is accessing upholstery stable gun to achieve a nice tug fit. I have a new Explorer light grey spare one someone can have for ground shipping... SEE HERE:

For like $16 you can get oem color center console lid (synthetic leather) covers....look actually look pretty good....key is accessing upholstery stable gun to achieve a nice tug fit. I have a new Explorer light grey spare one someone can have for ground shipping... SEE HERE:
I'd love to work something out on the light grey spare you've got. Thanks!

/\ It's not sitting where I thought I left it....I know I still have it somewhere, will message you via this site when I get chance / feel prone to look later on today. Being what it is I can carefully roll it up and ship it in small plastic USPS pouch so shipping should be very cheap.

Sounds great, thanks again!

/\ Hey boss....just found it going through some stuff..... Sent you P.M. but that format doesn't allow pics...
The seller folded it for shipping so it has minor crease... have flat weight sitting on it now to diminish crease...and then once pulled tight and stapled should look fine.... Let me know via here and or P.M. if still needed.
CONSOLE LID COVER.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back