Painting Interior | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting Interior

Hey Guys,

I am wanting to paint the interior dash accents of my 01 Sport Trac from the nasty grey color (its also all faded and nasty) to a semi gloss black. I know how to snap all of it off, and i know how to spray paint, only question is what kind of paint should i use? Ive heard alot about Krylon Fusion for the plastic trim and such on the exterior. Any ideas? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Krylon sucks!!

Definetly DONT use krylon , it doesnt bond to plastic and it wont last long. Go with Rostoleum Universal or if they dont have it in semi black use regular rostoleum. Ive painted with it before and it works great , just use primer and clear for a good finish. It'l stick to plastic w/o primer but it doesn'rrt last as long.. Use rostoleum plastic primer , and sand w/ 400 grit paper before u prime.

Krylon Fusion is made to bond to plastics...

Make sure that whatever you want to paint, you clean VERY well, then scrub thoroughly with rubbing alcohol or wax and grease remover, then clean again. If your trim pieces have ever even LOOKED at some Armor All sideways, nothing will stick for long to it.

They also sell adhesion promoters that are made to etch the surface of the plastic so paint sticks better, and using a paint formulated for plastics will ensure your paint sticks for a long time. Of course, you can also lightly sand the surface too, just to add a little more mechanical adhesion.

Krylon Fusion works fairly well for any of the times I have used it, though I have never used it on trim in a car. You can find a lot of paints formulated for plastics and even "Automotive Trim Paint" which is basically a fancy name for paint formulated for plastics, though it probably has other additives to suit the environment of being inside a vehicle.

I used duplicolor.... and its held up real nice.

I have also had good luck with the Rostoleum paints. I painted my B pillars on my 2nd Gen with it and it has held up for 3 years now. And that was in St. George Utah with 110+ degree weather and brutal sun. Now in Wyoming for a few months and has been down to -37 and still no problems. Been happy with is so there is my review on Rostoleum.

Rustoleum would be ok for the exterior pillars, they're not plastic interior parts though. It's a different surface energy...

I still say Krylon Fusion, or Duplicolor interior paint. Possibly with an adhesion promoter if you're not using a proper plastic paint, since the bezels, etc., undergo a lot of contact.

Once again, I have to agree with Mr. Dirt. Go figure!

My luggage rack and wiper arms still look good after one summer and one winter with rust-o-leum automotive paint.. Going to be doing pillars near future.

Back