Painting lower exterior door gray trim | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting lower exterior door gray trim

jjk32

Reaction score
City, State
tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 sport trac
I have a silver sport Trac I cannot decide to paint the lower body trim back to black or silver,I was thinking of painting it black along with the bumpers,any thoughts?also interested in going with black wheels,are steel wheels just as good as aluminum wheels?can you leave the trim on to paint it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well that did not work. Go into the link for projects and then exterior appearance. There is someone who painted a silver ST's cladding black.

I wouldn't paint it black, but black wheels on a silver truck look good. The center spokes of the wheels on my truck in my avatar are black. Only the outer part of the rims are buffed aluminum.

The side trim is easy to remove. It's probably less work to remove it than trying to mask the truck and work with it on the truck. Should be a matter of removing one or two screws in each wheelwell. The rest is held on by plastic pins and just pulls off. I say "should" because I've not taken the cladding off a Sport Trac, but I have taken the front piece off an Explorer Sport, which is the same piece.

The bumper covers I'd leave on the truck to paint.

Back