Painting my Plastic Trim black? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting my Plastic Trim black?

I have a 2001 explorer sport, with a dark blue paint and a gray plastic trim along the bottom

is their any way i can paint that black on my own?

what would i need?

how do you think it would look, has anyone done it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but is it the same process for ALL of that gray on the bottom? (on an 01 sport)

how much of what do you think i would need?

thanks again man

so now i kno how to do it, but does anyone think it would look good?

check out a pic of an 01 sport and tell me what you think, it would be alot of black

I don't think the grey ever looks good. Just keep in mind that with that much black that low on the front it's going to end up getting a bit scuffed up and you'll have to re-coat it more than I've had to do mine.

Doing mine tomorrow! I am looking around locally for a new front and rear bumper, so till then, I am breaking out the spray cans! Going to spray the inside of the grill as well, right b/4 my black chrome billet grill gets installed. Between this and watching football, itsa gonna be abusy day!

yea i can redo it if i need to

and that's what I was planning for mine 02 Sport except that mine is all black with gray bottom and bumpers... wondering if perhaps I should get original paint to color match it... instead of just spraying some black...

:cool:

thats what im wondering too but im kinda goin for a black and blue look

Get a couple jy pieces and see what you think... You can paint them and put them on your vehicle, try dif colors, textures, etc...

jy peices?

oh haha thanks

will do

jy, I sound like I know something, ha! :) please be sure to let us know what paint you use... that material has a different texture than most trim...

ok will do

Check out my explorer, I did the same thing.

whats the price range of herculiner and regular trim paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the price range of herculiner and regular trim paint?

A herculiner kit... plenty to do all your plastics is about 80$ US

Trim paint you could do 7$/can... it would take about 6 cans plus clear-coat to do the job.

Back