Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Afrojoe

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Hey guys, this is my first real post and I was originally going to post it under Modified Gen 2s, but decided that was more of a serious modification forum (Move wherever it actually belongs please). What I'm looking for was more of an opinion so I decided Polls is a good place. I'd like to paint the rims, but am unsure of what color. Not sure if they're OEM or from a Ranger, because I've seen them on explorers and rangers. Anyways, I was thinking Duplicolor graphite would look nice, but would like opinions. What do you guys think? Here's my X. PS. How do I get pictures to appear on my the post?

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your pictures aren't working. But if you need reference, I plastidipped the outer part of my stock rims, leaving the inner caps stock. Here's a picture.
YKsAHSl.jpg

Would a link work better? I think body color has a lot to do with the decision because I don't feel like the Blue would go good with to much. Plus spirally rims don't seem to do black well. By the way that's a good looking X, man.

Would a link work better? I think body color has a lot to do with the decision because I don't feel like the Blue would go good with to much. Plus spirally rims don't seem to do black well. By the way that's a good looking X, man.

Hmm those definitely aren't stock to the Expo, not sure what they're from though.
I think a silver or gray will basically leave them looking stock. I don't think they'd look terribly in black, or white. Though they get dirty very easily.
Also that pictures is probably close to a year old now. The rims look a lot dirtier now, and I may redo them to get some of that gloss back.

Hmm those definitely aren't stock to the Expo, not sure what they're from though.
I think a silver or gray will basically leave them looking stock. I don't think they'd look terribly in black, or white. Though they get dirty very easily.
Also that pictures is probably close to a year old now. The rims look a lot dirtier now, and I may redo them to get some of that gloss back.
I've only ever seen them on one other explorer and maybe two other rangers. I might to with a silver if I can find a nice one.

painted mine black and I think it looks great.

I guess you're picture did what my two did because it won't load and when I try to open in a tab it says it can't be found.

With that color, I would NOT paint the wheels black. I would however try and get the wheels shined up nice and bright.
Also, I'm a firm believer that if the bumpers are chrome or chrome plated, the wheels should match.

With that color, I would NOT paint the wheels black. I would however try and get the wheels shined up nice and bright.
Also, I'm a firm believer that if the bumpers are chrome or chrome plated, the wheels should match.
I'm starting to lean that way I think. I feel like it'd look off with black rims and Graphite is a nice color but wasn't sure how it'd look. I'll begin the search for a good Silver or Steel color. Perhaps even take it to bare metal, polish it, then clear coat and just leave it that color. Maybe. That's my problem. It's a time investment and I don't want to put money toward something and it not look good.

I'm glad you're thinking this through. A lot of people look at someone's vehicle and think "That looks cool, I'll do that to mine" Only to have the outcome not what was expected.

If you want a "temporary" thing, try plastidip. Comes in tons of colors, and if you don't like it, just peel it off.

Lots of people around here (North Georgia) use plastidip. I was honestly thinking Rustoleum or Duplicolor. Paints I normally use. And I'd hate to spend a day on it and it look bad. I might use other people for reference but when it comes down to it I want something unique. Which as far as I know, my X is an oddball as is.

I'd get rid of those steel wheels and try to find a set of aluminum ones and go from there. That style rim has a glued on face.

I'd get rid of those steel wheels and try to find a set of aluminum ones and go from there. That style rim has a glued on face.
Glued on face?

If you look closer, the silver layer is a second face, which is glued to the black inner wheel.
Good to know. Any suggestions on a better affordable style? I might do some minor offroading so wouldn't Steel rims be better and cheaper? IE, if they bend unbend them rather than them cracking? I'll search around. Thank you guys for the input and help.

Thank you, Turdle. I'll definitely look into it tonight. I'll post pictures on my feed if I get any. Oh by the way. Since you're a moderator, is the reason I can't post pictures is because I'm not paid member yet?

Thank you, Turdle. I'll definitely look into it tonight. I'll post pictures on my feed if I get any. Oh by the way. Since you're a moderator, is the reason I can't post pictures is because I'm not paid member yet?
I believe so yes.

However you should be able to use the insert image tab in the post creation window.

Hmm. I don't know. I used the Image button (one next to the emojis) the first time. Those didn't work so I posted a link. When I click the camera it tells me I haven't uploaded any media. It's fine either way. I don't think I'll have to much to add to the forum. Gen 2 seems to be fairly well figured out by now lol. And I doubt I'll ever do anything that hasn't already been done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kinda like "if the collar and cuffs match" James Bond from Diamonds are forever.

Back