Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

willstatus

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 XLT
I just purchased a 2013 Base and I see a lot of people posting that they dislike their chrome door handles. So wanted to see if anyone would be up for trading. I live in AZ, but can ship if need be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would be up for trade...but i have no clue how id live with out handles during the shipping time... Or even how to take them off...

I just purchased a 2013 Base and I see a lot of people posting that they dislike their chrome door handles. So wanted to see if anyone would be up for trading. I live in AZ, but can ship if need be.

In Cali, I would trade in a heartbeat, but won't have the vehicle until Sports are born in Sept/Oct ... Everything on the sport is accented w/ black, but it appears they put chrome damn door handles :)

If you still have em in Sept I'm game

I would be up for trade...but i have no clue how id live with out handles during the shipping time... Or even how to take them off...

I know what you mean. Maybe we can do it in 2 phases? One side and then the other? Maybe Front and then backs? We can priority ship so it'd make it like 1-3 days between.

Or we could do it all in one shot and enter through the trunks, LOL. I take it you're no where near AZ, huh?

Let me look into the removal of them and maybe we can figure something out.

Its only a 20 hour drive, each of you drive 10 hours, meet in the middle, maybe Fort Stockton? Then break out the tools on the side of the road and get at it!

Will the black handles work with the IA system?

I know the chrome handles on my Limited have 2 areas... one behind the handle and a button on the front.

I wonder if the painted door handles from the Edge Sport would fit. They have a bump instead of a 'button' that you touch to lock the doors. I like that much better than the ugly black plastic button surrounded by chrome look that our car has. Why couldn't they make the button chrome too??

Definitely chrome, I like the accent it provides and it doesn't look as cheap as black plastic does. If not chrome, then at least they need to be color matched with paint.

Definitely chrome, I like the accent it provides and it doesn't look as cheap as black plastic does. If not chrome, then at least they need to be color matched with paint.

Chrome is good when there is other chrome on the car.. but with the Sport all of the accenting is black.. I think the chrome will look slightly out of place. I might change my mind when I actually get mine and see it though.

I wonder if the painted door handles from the Edge Sport would fit. They have a bump instead of a 'button' that you touch to lock the doors. I like that much better than the ugly black plastic button surrounded by chrome look that our car has. Why couldn't they make the button chrome too??

Possibly due to the sensor not able to "read" through paint or other material.
I do like that the keypad is seamlessly integrated into the B-pillar unlike older Ford models.

Possibly due to the sensor not able to "read" through paint or other material.
I do like that the keypad is seamlessly integrated into the B-pillar unlike older Ford models.

The integrated keypad is pretty slick.

As far as the paint goes on the button, the Edge Sport has painted door handles, and instead of a 'button', there is a raised portion that lets you know where to touch. I prefer the raised portion idea over the obvious and ugly contrasty button. Or maybe if the button was larger and painted the same color as the body, it would seem more integrated. Having that button black is like looking at cars in the 80's and 90's. You could tell the fancier models by the fact they didn't have black plastic bumpers, they were painted the body color.

Plasti dipped my door handles black. I like them a lot better then that chrome BS. Also got the front windows matched to the rear, 20%.

image_zps94d7ba94.jpg

image_zpse07f72ea.jpg

That looks sweet. I bought some plasti-dip to do the door handles but haven't got to them yet. I know to mask around the door handle so that some of the plasti-dip will get on the paint and then peel the dried plasti-dip that is on the paint. Any other tips?

That looks sweet. I bought some plasti-dip to do the door handles but haven't got to them yet. I know to mask around the door handle so that some of the plasti-dip will get on the paint and then peel the dried plasti-dip that is on the paint. Any other tips?

I was nervous and papered and taped the car so no over spray got on the car. But here is a tip... I did not spray behind the handle because it is already black in there. But if you do this project DO spray in there. I'm starting to get some peel because of grabbing in there to pull the handle. If you spray in there you will not have a starting point for it to start peeling.

Thanks for the pics JarHead !
It looks AWESOME !
Thanks the for tip on dipping the grab side of handles. I wondered about that.

I am going to do this as well, but I was going to revove the handles from the car. How bad was masking the whole car? Do you have keyless entry? Did you bask off the lock button on the front dors? It doesn't look like you have that option from the pics.

I am going to do this as well, but I was going to revove the handles from the car. How bad was masking the whole car? Do you have keyless entry? Did you bask off the lock button on the front dors? It doesn't look like you have that option from the pics.

There was only one key hole (drivers side), I cut a small piece of mask tape and pushed it in there. It was a little tricky getting it out, but it came out with, just have a razor handy.
I didn't mask the whole car, just around the handles. I can post a picture in a little while. I have keyless enty, Its on the B post, no where near the handles.

I think removing the handles will be a HUGE waste of time. I mean with having to take apart each door from the inside and all... It took about 5 minutes to mask each door, 30 minutes in between coats, 4 coats, 5 minutes to pull the mask off. Done!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

image_zps19be18e2.jpg

Back