Painting stock fender flares | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Painting stock fender flares

I just bought OE fender flares for an 00' yukon - has anyone ever had fender flares painted to match their vehicle color? I want to see what a price estimate may be... also, should they be installed before painted?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
I would do the install AFTER painting, but test fit them first, drill the mounting holes etc. Can't return painted items.
QUESTION: Are they clear? If so, paint the inside, not the outside. It'll last a lot longer that way.

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
I've painted the flares that are on mine. I had some factory ones that hooked into the side skirt things, but I took those off and put on some stockers from a Navajo, so I'd have flares, but not the lower skirt. I just sprayed it with some Satin black Rustoleum (that's how most of the truck is painted, minus the body itself) so that I could touch it up if needed and so I could pull them off every once in a while to paint them if they had some battle scars. Sure enough, they've got some pretty nice scrapes in them (dang forest :p).

Like CaptainObvious said, I'd test fit them, paint them, and then install them.

BoatsRcool

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville SC (Home) Clemson SC (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
GMC Yukon 4x4
What would someone pay to have fender flares professionally installed and painted?

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
A quality job will cost a lot :(

At least $500.00 to paint all four off the vehicle.

2000Xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Parker, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
what about painting the stock large fender flares on the 2000. i was planning on taping them off, then priming, then spraying with some black high gloss spray paint, then a clear rustoleom enamel for protection. any opinions?

MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
dont tape them off
they remove easily enough.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
I have just painted the 99-01 flares, etc. There are ten main parts, plus the two tiny corners, and the center hatch trim piece. That doesn't include the four running board parts. They can take a while to remove also. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread044.JPG
    Projectthread044.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 350
  • Projectthread049.JPG
    Projectthread049.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 338

newc5188

Reaction score
City, State
St Pete, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
how much did that cost you?

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
We also painted a couple of other small parts, plus the hood. That all took a full quart of paint, a single stage urethane. The labor for the paint prep was easily four hours just for the flares, etc. People underestimate how much tedious sanding there is to do. I don't have much respect for some peoples idea of prep; scrubbing with paint thinner, and done.

BTW mine was for a work vehicle, so perfection wasn't the goal for me. Many smalls scuffs exist in the plastic, I sanded them hard with 220 wet sanding first. Choose base/clear if you can, clear is far easier to finish after cured. Regards,