Painting that ugly grey trim on a 3rd gen EX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting that ugly grey trim on a 3rd gen EX

Jmedina613

Reaction score
City, State
Clermont Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys ive been searching for the best way to paint my ugly grey bumper/trim
and to my surprise there isnt too much information on here that i was looking for.

My first question has to do with paint.
I nailed it down to 4 candidates.
1. a) Krylon Fusion
b) Rustoleum Bumper & trim paint
c) Dupli Color trim paint
and finally
d) Truck bed liner
Please feel free to let me know which one i should choose or which one is recomended.

My second question has to do with prep work.
2. Based on the options above, i know for some i wouldnt need to do to much, (just a good cleaning) but will i get better results if i sanded the trim for the krylon fusion, for example, even if i dont have to?

And my last question has to do with HOW to paint them.
3. Taking off the trim, or Taping it off?

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've painted trim on several different vehicles.

I leave it on the vehicle unless I can remove the trim with fasteners. If you have to pull up and pry the trim off- leave it as that could lead to more damage on such old trim.

I prep it with brake cleaner and a rag. Go over it several times.

I like rattle can bedliner (Rustoleum or Dupicolor). It goes on with a matte finish so it's easy to make it look uniform. Never had a problem with it coming off.

I have and xls and I was just thinking about getting the whole car wrapped in like a matte grey / matte black. Not sure how much it costs but that ugly grey trim really gets to me.

vinyl wrap is actually a great idea! never thought of it!

Hearing more about vinyl wrap lately instead of paint, report back once you've done yours.

I did mine in black bed liner, it didnt take long to dry, but for it to fully cure took at least a week(still completely drive-able after like an hour, but after that week you could practically take a grinder to it without damage) I love it and it looks really good to me. plus its really easy to get a good finish with. I dont remember what brand i used, it was from autozone is about all i remember.

I'm def interested in doing something. I think I'd like a metallic black or semi gloss or low gloss but not flat black. Something to really clean it up and make it look nice.

hey guys, i ended up painting it with krylon fusion spray paint. I must say it looked really good, my buddy was drooling over the job i did. BUT if your going to do this method, do yourself a favor and clear coat it. Mine has already faded alot from sitting in my drive way getting hit directly by the sun everyday. I think the next step for me would be too bed line it. i Dont think that would ever fade. (probably wrong)

Well if it fades just hit it with some matte black or color of choice

Back