Painting the Chrome grill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting the Chrome grill

Just traded my 97 Sport and picked up a 98 Eddie Bauer...

Does anyone know the best way to paint the chrome grill body color, or would I be better off finding a sport or limited grill and painting that to match ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

actually its just chrome stuff over plastic. you should be able to sand it right down to the plastic and then paint it. as for the paint to use, i'm not sure since it will be going on plastic, but it isn't necessary that it be ablt to flex. someone else can help you there

Ok, I tried sanding it down to the plastic and it was a *****. It took forever to sand down, and it wasnt quite as smooth, but the paint has stuck on the plastic pretty well. If i were you I'd try just painting over it all at first, because i've heard of some people saying that they've had no problems doing that. then if you got probs, then start sanding and have fun, because its a lot of work.

the crome isnt stuck that well....the only thing that keeps it on is the fact it metal and it wraps arround the back side of the grill.....just scratch an area down to the plastic and then with a knife work it up and flake it off.....as for paint...i use duplicolor from walmart....good stuff....used it to paing my vent visors to match my paint color

On my Explorer I just sanded the chrome a little and painted right over it. As long as you scratch the chrome and then prep it right I don't think you would have trouble. Mine has stayed on for 2 years now and it sets outside all the time.

Me too. Sanded it a bit. Had my local PPG guy mix my paint according to the code on the door sticker. Primed it, painted it, clearcoated it. Done. Good for over 2 years now. Good luck,

Here is a thread on how I painted the grill on my '99....Dead Link Removed

Attachments

• black grillfront.jpg
    black grillfront.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 519

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I spent part of monday evening wet sanding the chrome on the grill, Primed and painted the grill. I used the dark blue duplicolor, but it's just not quite the right shade. so back to stripping the grill I go. I'll have a buddy shoot the grill wedgewood blue to actually match the truck. Close just was not good enough.

Originally posted by fordkrazy
used it to paing my vent visors to match my paint color

I want to paint my vent visors but is the paint going to chip easy and do I have to keep respraying it or... ???? My vent visors are already on though I'll juss find something to cover the rest I guess??

Just gotta love a buddy with a body shop...

I got the grill back after having real base coat / clear coat blown on the grill. Not sure why Ford ever put the chrome grill on the Eddie Bauer. The buggy looks great, just need to get some rims and tires and I'll be a happy man.

Back