• Register Today It's free!

Painting trim panels/bumper

crashwave

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson NJ/Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Hey guys I have a question. I'm a college student not really having the most amount of money but I really want to paint my trim panels and bumpers on my 1999 Ford Explorer Sport from gray to black, to match my car paint. IMO it looks 100x better and more clean, slick, uniform as all black.

Anyway, I've heard to get it professionally it would be around $400, but I've also heard that if you do it yourself and get trim paint from an auto accessories store, and DO IT RIGHT, and prime and paint it yourself, you can have very good results, if not the same result from having it done professionally.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has ever done this, if so how did it come out for you, how many coats did you apply, did it hold it well in all weather conditions, etc....and also if you haven't done this would you recommend it however, etc. If anyone has any insight or help I would really appreciate this. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Have done it and it dose work if you get your suplies from an auto parts store it was a lot of sanding and the more coats the better. It dose look really good and can stand the elements. but make sure you get the matching color! its no good even if its a little off.

My explorer is black and I looked at some trim panel paints at Pep Boys just out of curiosity (didn't buy anything yet) and they have "Flat black" and "Low gloss black"....which should I get?

well it depends on wether you want it shinny or dull shinny goes with the gloss and flat is dull it should have the color and texture on the cap personally i would go with the flat black i like it better i did me interior with it and am goin to do my grill with it

Flats will show less imperfections than a glossy paint. Are you going to rattle-can it, or do you have an air compressor? I would reccomend using an air compressor if you have the means... Check around rental places and see if you can rent one for the day, just buy a cheap-o spray gun from a hardware store for about $15 and you are on your way.

Back