Panhard bar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Panhard bar

Reaction score
City, State
Groton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer XLT
so i have been looking into making my 99 xlt handle better and i want to put a panhard bar on it and would it be possible to get one custom made and put it where the 5th shock is? is this possible or would it not work like it is suppose to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is what i was gonna do if if couldnt do this and yes i have already done shocks

I thought a panhard bar was for a suspension with coil springs????

Do the larger sway bar, with stiffer bushings. Also, some good valve shocks will help.

I mean it might be only for that type i was just reading in to it and would like what it does which is limits body roll i understand this thing is top heavy and it will have body roll and that it wont all go away just would like it make it less so it looks like im just gonna go with the ee sway bar or one similar to it i have seen different ones.

There are certain race cars that use a track bar with leafs, but the problem is the way a track bar wants to move in an arc. So now you have to match the roll center of the leafs or you'll have counteracting forces. I think a watts linkage would be better.
How about Del-A-lum type spring bushings?
I know on my track bar and coilovers I played with mounting locations to tune the ride. But with the coilovers you have to have the track bar. Edit, but after installing the Double tri-angulated rear 4 link i no longer use any track bar and love it. No more body being shoved to the side. To get the roll axis under control I had to make my upper links fully adjustable in vertical mounting locations to control the roll axis for street manners due to no track bar. But since this truck is built more for trails and not high speed turns, I just take the turns easy.

Back