Paper Gasket on Transfer Case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paper Gasket on Transfer Case

TomCat_Ford

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
I will be installing another transfer case in my Explorer here soon. I was wondering if I should replace the paper gasket that is on the front of the transfer case. If so, where can I get one...I can't seem to find one.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My last two t case swaps I used a beer box cut out I have a 94 sport but they have never leaked you can put a little red rtv on it if you think its going to leak but you should be fine using a paper gasket

I use ultra black rtv silicone and no gasket at all. Never had 'em leak. Love that stuff, I use it for everything. Be sure to get all the old gasket material off first...you probably knew that already.

I got a gasket for transfer case bw1354 at Dacco, I think it was 3.20.....

Respects,
Ragga

its more of a dust cover gasket than a gasket. both units are sealed units so if they leak you have bigger problems :) i just used rtv

its more of a dust cover gasket than a gasket. both units are sealed units so if they leak you have bigger problems :) i just used rtv

Really? When i pulled the AWD case out for my swap I got doused in ATF. Case is sealed but apparently the trans was not. Maybe the 4r70w is different than this application and I need to shut up.

lol it might be different, i literally held my transfer case on my chest removing it and was atf free :)

ATF does indeed get into the tail housing. There is a drip tube in it. The paper gasket is cheap and easy enough to use, and it works just fine. Try the dealership, Tousley Ford vendor here, or call around your local parts stores.

Back