Parasitic draw on battery

tjsxplodr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, I have a brand new battery in my X, after having the gearbox and both power steering lines replaced and the power steering pump. I am having trouble keeping my battery charged. It has gone dead twice now in the span of 2 minutes. It really goes down fast when I turn on the headlights.

Today, I bought a digital voltmeter, and as soon as I charged the battery, it was starting to have draw on it.

I found a brown wire on the headlight switch that has been cut into, not through, but into, and the wires are exposed. Not touching anything, but still exposed. Can this cause the serious draw on my battery that has been happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mach,
check to see if any wiring got pinched with the replacement of the parts you mentioned. If there was not a battery draw before that there is a chance that something happened durning the replacement.

It is possible that you may have been given a bad battery from where ever you bought it.

Machgirl,
There's lots of thread on your problem. Sorry i can't link to any of them.
I'd agree with soemthing happened during the fix.

Other than that put a test light between the neg post and cable, pull fuses from the power dist box till the test light goes out.

Two other things. If your under hood light works pull the bulb while your testing.

Mine over night drain turned out to be the voltage reg.

Good luck

Had the same problem a few months back checked tested retested finally just drove the truck wound up having to buy a 2nd new battery and alternator the problem was the voltage regulator and I recomend buying a new not remaned alternator I went cheap and replaced it with the new one 2 weeks later

The way to find the draw is hook up the meter start pulling fuses out and watch for the draw to go away. Once you figure that out look to see what is on that circuit and go from there.

I think I would disconnect the battery from the car, charge it and see if it drops. Off
That would tell you if it's or a draw from the car.

this is on my 1992 ex
I'm searching for help with this problem also. Here is the scoop I charge the battery it charges to full on the charger. the truck will run with high beams, radio, and wipers on i guess since the alt is good it can keep everything running
I found a dead short by pulling fuses it was the towing package fuse. changed the alternator. it still has this overnight drain their is now when i pull the red cable and hook up the trouble light it does not light up but i still have a drain that kills the battery by morning. this is the 3rd battery wal mart will no longer exchange they said it has to be the vechicle i allready knew that.

someone has also said a fuel relay switch under the right side passenger side will check that next it is 10 buck will make sure all cables r tight at the started

please help this is the truck i carry mail with

ok i just checked to make sure which fuse was causing the a short it was number 8 which is the hego heater what is it . This has been removed for awhile but its still draining the battery

was a python alarm standard on this model it appears that someone has had an alarm or remote start

ok so i just read that some people had pennies in the lighter hole no luck here I also went ahead a pulled the lighter plug thing

also it the the volts in dash seem to dip every once in awhile while driving around this may i assume this is from the alt getting less power it usually happens when you shift in to drive or reverse from the transmission pulling some power from seprentine

Ok, I got a retired mechanic to come out today, he helped troubleshoot with me for an hour and a half today. Figured out that the wiring harness connected to the left side of the instrument cluster got put in backwards when I installed the new speedo and tach gauges. that was the draw on the entire system. I couldn't believe it! That's fixed, now onto my steering problem lol.

it could be that or maybe its unrelated. have u done the fuse plucking with the VOM in series or a test light in series to see where the draw is coming from? maybe the wires ur rapping about are corroded from the inside like battery cables or have a bad contact or are arching over?

EDIT - oops didnt read the entire thread. good thing u found it

I still need help

I found one fuse that wsa causing the trouble light to come on, however there is still a overnight drain

picking up voltmeter today

While I was poking around the site looking for something completely unrelated, I saw something that may be of interest to you. I have not read it, but it is about parasitic draws on the electrical system. It is link #64 in a long time members list of helpful threads that I happened upon. Good luck
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1439158&postcount=17
Thanks go to BrooklynBay

ok i have the voltmeter who do i setit up

hook up the ground to the battery

put the meter to 200 with the horse shoe then connect the probe to the red cable and pos post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i have the voltmeter who do i setit up

hook up the ground to the battery

put the meter to 200 with the horse shoe then connect the probe to the red cable and pos post

yes between any cable to post. should be on the 10A scale. and depending on the meter dont let it stay in contact for more than 10 seconds. i blew out that circuit in my VOM. not even the fuse could save it. so just touch it to the contacts and read the amps then pause and start again

Back