Park Brake & Rear Anti Lock Brake lights on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Park Brake & Rear Anti Lock Brake lights on...

rur

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4X4
The park brake light & rear anti lock brake lights come on at the same time when my '91 Explorer is started. I lubricated the park brake switch and made sure the park brake cable was free and not seized.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this problem? At times both lights have gone out, but then come back on again and stay on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First I would check the parking break to see if it is working, then IF it is working I would back off the nut on the adjustment a few threads of the parking break and Put the vehicle in reverse and hit the brakes a few times and readjust them by hitting the breaks and see if the lights go off, also i would check your pedal and see if it needs pulled up a bit. some times on our explorers you can release the parking break and still need to pull it up a bit. cause of the wear and tear they accure over time.

Chris
-----------------
1991 Ford Explorer XLT 4door 4x4 4.0 5 speed manual.

The spring broke on the rear part where the linkage is. I've ordered a new spring from the US. I have to wait until I replace that spring before I test it.

What if the park brake is not working and seized?

if the parking break is not working then check the rear shoes and see if they need replaced in the mean time either adjust the parking brake or buy a new linkage.

x2 what Ted said, he just beat me to it though.

Parking brake can mean the parking brake's on, OR you have low brake fluid; ABS means the ABS system is malfuntioning, and disabled, so you dont have ABS.

I'll check the brake fluid soon. Would low brake fluid make the ABS go on too? Also, would a seized or malfunctioning E-brake make the ABS go on?

It seems ever since I applied the e-brake these lights came on. I just got this truck yesterday.

I topped up the brake fluid and after a few minutes of driving around the lights went out, thanks for your help.

Now you need to find out why the fluid was low to begin with. It's not water, it doesn't just evaporate.

If you have a small leak, it could very easily become a huge one, at just the wrong time. Have someone work the brakes while you crawl around underneath and check every where for a leak. I would also pull the drums off, make sure it's not the wheel cylinders leaking. Same for the calipers.

Also, if the fluid was low enough to activate the late, you may have introduced air into the system, requiring that the brakes be bled.

Yes one of the steel lines blew a leak, it was replaced on both sides actually. Thanks again.

Back