Parking Brake 2006 Explorer EB Edition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake 2006 Explorer EB Edition

katesdad1966

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Bought a 2006 with 200K on the clock this weekend for my daughter to drive. It was MD inspected just a few days before I bought it from a local Ford dealer.

Bought it "as is". But as soon as we got it home, my driveway is on a very slight grade, so pushed in the parking brake and felt no resistance or tightening as usual. When all the way down it gave no braking force against drifting backward even on that slight incline. Unfortunately this was the first time I tried it -- did not think to check it on the dealer lot.

I assume that technically/legally it is my responsibility for the fix, but I plan to ask the dealer to fix it anyway since I think there is no way the inspection mechanic could have checked it -- I am assuming that he overlooked it by accident. Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

Any idea what the cost of such a repair is if I have to eat it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ford dealer should definitely fix it for free. There is probably no pad material left on the parking brake shoes. There is a star adjuster in the brake mechanism inside the wheel, but it's probably rusted solid. Replacing the parking brake stuff completely in both wheels is probably the way to go but will be a bit expensive. Ford charges a fortune for parking brake parts. If they won't fix it for free, which they should, it might be better to take it somewhere else for that repair. Ford will probably charge you at least $400.

I would try adjusting it first. I have 155k on my original parking pads. I took it apart few times when my rear bearings went, but I just put the same parts back. And yes, originally I set it to deep and had no ebrake, but then just turned it up and all is well.

Thanks, I was used to my cable adjuster on my 96 F-150 to tighten up the parking brake; parking brake pads are a new concept to me. Never heard of them before yesterday!

Any ideas what it would run for a indy shop for this repair?

Thanks!

These are shoes, not pads. The rear disks serve 2 functions: as a disk for main brakes, and as a drum for ebrake. From what I saw, the shoes are hard to get except thru the dealer, but if you find them, then it's still a pain to put them back together. But it's still just a brake job, the only thing is you need to remove the primary brakes (calipers and pads) before you get to the ebrake. So you really dealing with extra labor. I would guess 200-300 for the whole job with parts. It's a robbery, but these are the prices today.

Wow, okay thanks. I do not mess with brake work, I pay the man, too much at stake.

I found the shoes in stock a Rockauto.com for like $20-30 I guess it is the labor that kills.

Gonna see what the dealer says...kinda irritated at myself for not checking it before I bought it, but got distracted and forgot to check it.

I don't know how an insp mechanic would go about checking parking brake function, but when it will not hold on a few degree incline, there is no way it was good.

Hummm guess you didn't read my post. I already suggested that Ford will overcharge for parts. About $100 last time I checked, and the total will be at least $400.

Yes, I read your post, edwx. But even at $100 for parts, that is $300 labor at the price you stated. Ouch.

Explorer pl stated that the shoes may be hard to get, so I mentioned a place I found that had lots of them for sale, reasonable.

The dealer said on the phone they would fix the p brake while we wait -- just stop by, no appt necessary. I'm guessing he thinks it will just be an adjustment -- maybe, maybe not. We'll see.

If he makes it right, whatever the issue, he'll gain some points with me.

Thanks to all who replied. Peace!

Yeah, sorry I vented a little yesterday. My son has had some health issues lately, and instead of fighting with my better half I'll use a post on a forum to get it out a little.

Hopefully they can adjust it. I doubt they'll bang you for a big repair right out of the gate. Like you say, not too many freebies on a vehicle with 200K miles on it. This might be your only one.

Edwx

I hope your son feels better.

Hey, Thanks......appreciate it.

200k on an 06 explorer? Gives me hope for mine at 91k...just bought used.

fyi,
These parking brakes are called "Drum-in-Hat" or "DIH" park brakes, and DIH rotors. It's a literal description, because there is a drum in the "hat" of the rotor. You will see these being phased out, as electric park brake calipers become more mainstream.

Back