• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake adjustment

Tarpman

Reaction score
City, State
Escalon, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT 4.0
Is there an easy way of adjusting the parking brake on 2003 Ex? Cant see the so called rubber plug on back side. Any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having just had to replace the "emergency brake" shoes and cables on my '02 EB - I don't think there is the "typical" adjustment on these shoes like you are referring to.

Rear disk brakes do not have an adjustment at the wheel. It's going to have to be done at the cable, look at the place where it branches off from one cable to two near the rear. The cable can stretch over time and you need to take up the slack, but it may also be that the shoes (behind the rotors) need replacing. It's rare for them to wear out, but with age, they can crack or the pad can come off of the metal.

Go to Autozone.com and look up the vehicle repair guide for you Ex, there is a section for brakes, and then parking brakes. Under that section are diagrams that may help you find the plug that is toward the bottom of the assembly on the inboard side.

Once you pop it off you can use a long flathead to turn the adjustment wheel or one of those fancy drum pad adjusters, but the flathead works too.

I just did this when I replaced the parking shoes and rotors.

If you still need help, shot me a PM.

Tom

adjusting emergency brake cable and shoes

Just finished a 2005 today which should be the same.

There is no rubber plug but there is a metal disk the size of a quarter you can punch out. Looks like when you punch it out, it will fall inside the drum/rotor which will require you to remove the rotor to remove the piece. Then you have to find a suitably sized plug to fill the large hole it leaves in the backing plate.
Inside is a star wheel similar to what is found on the old style drum brake systems which you can rotate with a long flat blade screw driver.

If you recently replaced the rotors, you may find it easier to pull the rotor and adjust the start wheel with the rotor off. Tighten the adjuster to the shoes start to bind then back it off until the shoes completely clear the drum.

If the brakes have been on there for a while, you may find it impossible to pull the rotor off and you will NOT be able to adjust the brakes with the rotor off. To get the rotor off, you will have to punch in the disk so you can loosen the star wheel so the shoes will retract enough to pull the rotor. Remove the loose piece, reinstall the rotor and then adjust the start wheel with the rotor INSTALLED.

There is a procedure to take up slack in the cable. It involves an adjustment on the parking brake foot pedal assembly. The procedure for this can be viewed at AutoZone's website.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c152801dc61e

emergency brake drum removal

I have a 2005xls and i pounded the rotor til it came loose.i cant seem to find the metal disk to knock out to get to the adjusting screw and dont know what to do from here.i think its just the parking brake stopping the rotor like you guys said.if you can help me thanks alot.

The parking brake shoes do have an adjusting screw. I don't think there is an access hole through rear of the backing plate. You have to remove the brake rotor to access them.

I have a 2002 Ford explorer XLT 4X4 and had the parking brake shoes replaced last week, and the brake still does not work. I went back and NTB is saying now I need a cable. Isn't there an ajustment somewhere. I already replaced the cable once about a year ago?

I have a 2002 Ford explorer XLT 4X4 and had the parking brake shoes replaced last week, and the brake still does not work. I went back and NTB is saying now I need a cable. Isn't there an ajustment somewhere. I already replaced the cable once about a year ago?

I just did mine. You adjust them by removing the rotor and turning the star shaped nut on the adjuster. It's located on the lower portion of the p. brake shoes. While you're in there you might want to punch out the round disc to make adjustments a little easier, down the road. you can get the rubber plug that seals it off from Ford but I have no idea what the PN is. I just cleaned the outer part of the shield and put a piece of electrical tape over the hole. Works perfect.

Back