• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake cable for body lift

Con Seann3ry

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a first gen X I am in the process of putting a body lift on, I've got everything mostly ready to start jacking up the body but I can't get this parking brake off for the life of me. My instructions say:

"Release parking brake. Remove front parking brake cable from the bracket that splits to both rear wheels. Pull front cable and rear cable together. The front cable with slide out of the bracket. Remove parking brake cable from frame mount under driver's side front door."

I know it's that little box type thing on the parking brake, but I've pulled as much slack as possible (by using some vise grips to hold it against a body mount) and used pliers and my hands in addition to liquid wrench and I can't get it to get loose from the box thing. Any advice? The body lift is going great but this is the only thing holding me up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on mine....i didnt even mess with the parking break....i dont know if thats gonna mess anything up but it hasnt caused me any problems since i put my lift on 6 or 7 months ago.

2 inch lift?

Well, figured out that problem. I used some vice grips to hold the wire (give it slack) and then i got a small flathead screwdriver behind it and hammered it, slowly it came off.

If you put a small screwdriver in the pin lock in the mechanism for the pedal, it gives plenty of slack for this. Forget the vice grips - well until you need them to hold the body mounts to get the @#$#@ bolts out. :(

Back