Parking brake cables - left and right?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake cables - left and right?!

Karin

Reaction score
City, State
Kunszentmiklos, Hungary
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 4L petrol automatic
Hi!

Please excuse the fact that a) I'm a girl, b) I'm blonde and c) I live in Hungary....

My mechanic tells me he needs to replace the parking brake cable on my 1998 Explorer before the regulation inspection in July.

In Hungary, there are NO Ford Explorer parts. I order them from the UK!

He tells me I need the 'left and right' parking brake cables.

I cannot find anywhere on the www, the two different left and right cables.

Am I being exceptionally thick? (Say yes, I can take it!!) ;)

Please can someone explain what the difference is between 'left and right' parking brake cables and what I actually need to buy?

Thanks.

There is one cable that goes from the pedal toward the back of the vehicle along the frame. Right before it gets to the rear tires i separates and one cable goes to the passenger side rear wheel and the other goes to the drivers side rear wheel.

There are two cables in the rear, one goes from the middle to the left rear brake, the other goes from the middle to the right rear brake. There is also a middle (intermediate) cable, and a front cable that goes from the parking brake pedal to the front of the middle cable.

The rear cables sometimes need to be replaced since they are in a metal housing, and if they rust bad enough, they won't slide smoothly and the parking brake won't engage properly.

Here's a listing of the parking brake cables for the 1998 Explorer, including the rear left and right cables:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1304413,parttype,1696,a,Ad%2BCode%2Bwww.google.com%2B

You should be able to use those same part numbers and order them from the UK.

Here is a diagram of the cables...

I just happened to have this layout on my screen... I was looking for the parking brake light switch... You can see the single cable from the pedal going to 2 cables for the left and right wheels...

And this diagram came from www.fordpartsgiant.com

Good luck with your parts...

Attachments

• 410559399.jpg
    410559399.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15,855

Back