• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake fix

tworx

Reaction score
City, State
Zephyrhills, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have a 93 XLT and a parking brake that does not work. The book says there is no adjustment needed that it is automatic..Anyone know how to adjust it? Thanks Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

parking brake

I wish I knew my 91XLT parking brake dont work either and I cant find anyone with an answer either.:mad:

if it doesnt work that means something is broken. check the cable and lines and look to make sure that the cable is attached to the pedal still.

Mine 1/2 assed works when on relatively low grades but on a steep grade forget aboout it. I can feel them grab somewhat, this is a real pain having a standard tranny.

I'm assuming you X has rear drum brakes, if so, it maybe a matter of doing some manual adjustment to the cam adjuster. The cam is supposed to be self-adjusting if you back up while hitting the brakes, but sometimes rust prevent adjustment. Look at the rear axle flanges for an oblong rubber plug covering the cam adjuster, then remove it. Using a flat tip screw driver, you can adjust it (I'm not sure which direction it needs to be turned) then check the drag by rotating the wheels (on jack stands). You may also want to pull your rotors/drums to check the condition of the parking brake pads...

It could also be that the little star thing that Arnold is talking about is worn out. The driver side one on our 1992 X is worn out. If I pull the drum off I can turn the little star thing freely, both directions.. I guess after 250k+ miles it finally wore out.. Oh well.. time for a new one..

btw.. when you are trying to adjust it by hand.. you are trying to make the little star wheel rotate upwards

~Mark

Back