• Register Today It's free!

parking brake problem

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
hey ive got a 94 with the rear disc swap and today while parking my parking brake cable went all the way to the floor with no bite.

expecting a broken cable i went to look and it just seemed like my cables had gone slack. everything was hooked up and connected, but all of a sudden there was about an inch and a half of droop in the cabling.

i looked and watched the pedal in action and it does pull the cable, but only about an inch. it seems like it should be pulling a lot more slack out with every step on the pedal. could i need a new pedal assembly?

before there was a lot tension on the ca ble, even when the brakes were disengaged, and when i stepped on the pedal they really bit in.

or is there some sort of cog within the pedal assembly i can turn to take the slack out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry for the delay, work has been crazy. all of the rear connections are good, but when the parking brake is pressed, only a tiny bit of slack moves forward. i dont know what happened. is it possible that even thought the parking brake pedal has a full range of motion something broke and isnt pulling the wire as taut as it should be?

That is definitely possible. I would check your mechanism.

On a side note, I have also done a 2nd gen disc brake axle swap but I haven't set up a parking brake yet. How did you hook yours up?

from what i remember i just used the 2nd gen parking brake hook ups, the end sections, and the middle section. i had to cut the cable out of the double joiner in back and get a new one though, those joiners between cable are super hard to deal with. after that i had to adjust the parking brake shoes inside the rear discs for them to bite just the right way.

Back