• Register Today It's free!

Parking Brake Question

mals

Reaction score
City, State
st. louis, missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 explorer
I am replacing the parking brakes on my 01 Explorer. I noticed that the parking brakes can rotate about 5 degrees left or right with the hinge point being at the 12 oclock position where the pads set in the notch. Is this normal?
Also I was able to reinstall the upper spring with very little effort, just a slight pull and the spring popped right into the pads. Everthing I have read says these springs are extremely difficult to install. The adjuster and lower spring are in place. I have not had a chance to try out the paqrking brake because of a brake cable will not release so I figrue I will need to replace that also. The pads are from Advanced Auto it that matters. Any thoughts.

Mals

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am replacing the parking brakes on my 01 Explorer. I noticed that the parking brakes can rotate about 5 degrees left or right with the hinge point being at the 12 oclock position where the pads set in the notch. Is this normal?
Also I was able to reinstall the upper spring with very little effort, just a slight pull and the spring popped right into the pads. Everthing I have read says these springs are extremely difficult to install. The adjuster and lower spring are in place. I have not had a chance to try out the paqrking brake because of a brake cable will not release so I figrue I will need to replace that also. The pads are from Advanced Auto it that matters. Any thoughts.

Mals

movement is normal. the hardware can get pretty hot (especially if the shoes were dragging at some point) any complete brake job should include replacing the hardware/springs (they're cheap).

there's an release of sorts on the pedal mechanism. it involves sticking a drill bit in a hole (there's a sticky on it somewhere). that should help you to get the cable off. as long as your cables still move freely you shouldn't need to replace them. the sticky also has some tips on installing the springs.

The cable will apply the brake but will not retract when released. I replaced the cable on the drivers side last week. I have to drive the lever into the released position with a mallet and screwdriver. I replaced the cable ont eh drivers side last week and was hoping to avoid the passenger side cable.
Thanks for the info about the movement. Any thought on the ease at which the springs were reinstalled?

Mals

If the springs are easy to reinstall, then they're stretched and should be replaced.

Will do.
Thanks.

The cable will apply the brake but will not retract when released. I replaced the cable on the drivers side last week. I have to drive the lever into the released position with a mallet and screwdriver. I replaced the cable ont eh drivers side last week and was hoping to avoid the passenger side cable.
Thanks for the info about the movement. Any thought on the ease at which the springs were reinstalled?

Mals

like most things, once you do it you'll figure out the best way. if I recall correctly, the tip was to install the top spring(s) on the shoes first and then wrestle with the bottom. search the sticky's and forum, there were some good pictures and advice there last time I looked.

tip: one of the best tools I've found for stretching springs is to use an old spring and a good pair of vise-grips.

Koda2000 thanks for the tip on using the old spring to install the new spring.
Worked great.

Mals.

Back