Parking brake release handle return spring P/N? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake release handle return spring P/N?

96firephoenix

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
The little spring that returns the parking brake release handle broke. Very clear that this broke due to metal fatigue.

Of note: the PB had almost never been used by the previous owner, despite being a manual... SMH.

Parking brake release handle needs to be pushed back in manually after release, or the PB doesn't catch.

Anyone know where to get one besides a junkyard?

that part Number is no longer valid, it seems, but thanks for the specs!

Specs are as follows: 1-3/8" Length, 7/16" Outside diameter and .042 wire gauge.

I took wire cutter and took 1/16" off of the loop end on both sides and using needle nose pliers opened the end slightly on one end. The now larger opened end I hooked onto the rod side (towards door) of the mechanism and the other end was hooked over the hole on the flange side which is closer to the firewall of parking brake mechanism. Used needle nose pliers to replaced spring. No more loosee goosee handle and feels just like like new. 2 minute job. The cost? $2.39

Quoted for reference.

At the time I took my broken spring and "matched" as close as possible with what they had. It was packaged in plastic bag. In retrospect I should have noted the SKU number. They specs I noted may help when looking at their current inventory. Perhaps you can post the SKU number on your replacement to this thread and the one I referenced to help the next person.

Back