Parking brake warning light stays on nearly constantly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake warning light stays on nearly constantly

EasyRhino

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua, Hawai'i
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited 4.6L 4x4
Within the last several weeks, my parking brake warning light has begun to remain on nearly constantly when the brake is off. The truck is a 2002 Limited 4WD 4.6L with all options including adjustable pedals (which does not include a parking brake pedal adjustment)

The brake gets used daily when parked, is in good adjustment, and the shoes were replaced fairly recently. The problem is not with the function of the brakes themselves.

When I first take the parking brakes off, the light goes out but comes off and on after that, mostly remaining on. If I take my foot and perturb the parking brake pedal, I can get the light to go off momentarily, but it returns shortly there after.

It seems to me as if a switch might be broken or misadjusted.

Anybody else seen this, and how hard might it be to fix? I think it might be just loose.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This has happened to me several times. It used to drive me crazy until I figured out what was wrong. It would stay on, but if I slam on the brakes it would go off, than back on when I hit the gas. Check your brake fluid reservoir. There's a ball that floats in there, and if the level gets too low it makes contact with a sensor, setting the light off. Sloshing it around makes them disconnect, only to connect again shortly after.

Hopefully this helped.

This has happened to me several times. It used to drive me crazy until I figured out what was wrong. It would stay on, but if I slam on the brakes it would go off, than back on when I hit the gas. Check your brake fluid reservoir. There's a ball that floats in there, and if the level gets too low it makes contact with a sensor, setting the light off. Sloshing it around makes them disconnect, only to connect again shortly after.

Hopefully this helped.

Nope, not the brake fluid level.

The problem is the parking brake warning light.

Rhino, when I bought my '02 in Feb '10 my brake light wouldn't come on when I applied the parking brake. I removed it and cleaned the contacts and all is well. I figured the brake light comes on when the switch is grounded. You're a pretty mechanical guy. Take a look at the switch and I'm guessing you can figure it out. Let me know if you need some pics and assistance. I'll help out however I can. ;)

Rhino, when I bought my '02 in Feb '10 my brake light wouldn't come on when I applied the parking brake. I removed it and cleaned the contacts and all is well. I figured the brake light comes on when the switch is grounded. You're a pretty mechanical guy. Take a look at the switch and I'm guessing you can figure it out. Let me know if you need some pics and assistance. I'll help out however I can. ;)

Thx, Big R. I just haven't gotten around to it, but dislike the idea of operating machinery with out of spec indicators - which can result in masking a real problem. I'm doubting that it's a tough problem, and don't recall reading about the problem here in the past. I'll report back when it's fixed.

With family in town, I'll probably not crawl up under the dash until next weekend. Got lots of Mai Tais, Margaritas, Bourbon, Scotch, and beer to attend to until they leave.:thumbsup:

Have fun. :chug:

This is what you will have to do. I just pulled it off of my 1st gen to avoid it all together.

Switch was acting up again, so I performed the procedure. Now It's working fine. Next time it will be replaced.

Hey Rondo...This just happened to me this morning for the first time. What do I need to do?

Hey Rondo...This just happened to me this morning for the first time. What do I need to do?

Will explain in detail when I get home tonight.

Having the same problem myself-with the light failing to illuminate when the brake is set. Just had new shoes installed, and it works well, just don't want to forget it's applied and drive on it.

Thanks!
John
2002 Ltd 4.6

Back