Parking brake with disc brake swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parking brake with disc brake swap

James909

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 GMC Yukon 2 Door
I just swapped a '99 rear end into my '92. Everything except the parking brake is installed and working perfectly. I can't figure out how to hook up the parking brake cables. I checked the two write ups and they were a big help but don't really specify much about the parking brakes. I was going to go to the dealer and get the intermediate parking brake cable but apparently the dealer made the part listed on these write ups obsolete. So I can't get the cable at the dealer so I will have to get the cable from a junkyard. Unfortunately I can't find a junkyard willing to pull the cable; I will have to keep looking. Is the cable I need just an intermediate cable from a second gen explorer? Also since I can't figure out how the parking brake cables go (maybe I will understand more when I get the intermediate cable) could someone please explain a little how these cables hook up? Do I have to do any modifying to get the parking brake cable to work? I may have to find a second gen Ex and see how the cables are run in order to get a better idea. Or if someone could post a picture of their parking brake set up in a first gen with disc brakes or even just the stock set up on a second gen explorer that would be awesome. Thanks so much for everyone's help. -James

Back