Part # for 2001 XLT turn signal lever? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Part # for 2001 XLT turn signal lever?

greg762

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Does anyone have the Ford part number for the turn signal/wiper control multi-function lever for a 2001 XLT? The other day my left turn signal stopped blinking and then a puff of smoke came out of the steering column where the hazard lights button is. The general concensus is that replacing this multi-function switch will solve the problem and want to get it replaced as soon as I can. Thanks for your help!

Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! I am soooo happy that my explorer is not the only one that smokes out of the 4 way signal thingy......i had a post about this last week....i turn my blinker on sometimes and then it stops and smoke comes out....someone said it sounds like a wiring problem...but that is really expensive to fix....I was wondering if maybe ford ever had a recall on this......

Just go into your local dealer and ask for a multifunction switch or combination/combo switch.

Found the part online

I found it on Ford Parts Network listed as "Steering column , Shroud switches and levers ,Combo switch ,Signal and wiper" for $43.86. I just hope it isn't too difficult to install. Thanks,

Greg

Installed the multifunction switch today

The part came yesterday in the mail and I installed it this morning. It took about 20 minutes and was pretty easy. First, I disconnected the negative battery cable and adjusted the tilt on the steering column to the lowest setting (makes it easier to remove the top plastic cover from the steering column). I removed the 3 screws on the bottom of the plastic steering column cover and unscrewed the tilt wheel lever. I carefully pried the upper and lower plastic column covers apart (they snap together) and pulled the top cover carefully up and over the gear shift lever. With the switch exposed, you use a star bit to remove two screws on the top and bottom of the switch and pull it free. The two electrical connectors have tabs holding them in place so I had to carefully use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry them off and pull the connectors out. I snapped the electrical connectors into the new switch, mounted it and screwed it into the column, replaced the plastic column covers and made sure to snap them together, put the column cover screws back in and screwed in the tilt wheel lever. Finally, I put the negative terminal back on the battery and drove the car for a while, testing the turn signlas, wipers, washer and brights to make sure they all worked. I thought the keyless entry codes and radio presets would be erased from having my battery disconnected for so long but I only had to re-set the clock. I had read that when the battery is disconnected the computer will need to re-learn the transmission shift points and fuel mixutre and other drivability settings so I drove around for a while before parking it. I'm not sure if it even reset because it ran just as well as it always has. Anyway, for someone (like me) who doesn't like to work on these newer cars, this was a very easy fix.

Greg

Back