• Register Today It's free!

part I got

jonafer

Reaction score
City, State
kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ok guy's, I am going to replace the plate control and valve asy in my 2000 XLS. Is this all the parts I will need. I got them from ford. NO# 1l5z7z490ea
and 3l5z7m203ja. All I want is for the 2-3 flare to calm down. This is my daily driver so I don't need a shift kit or anything. The EPC shows 5 omh And no burned fluid or broken band's in the pan. I would like to put a drain plug in the pan but cannot find one. Where could I get one? I will be following the dairy on the 5r55e for this project. Any info will be greatly apreciated. Thank's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guy's, I am going to replace the plate control and valve asy in my 2000 XLS. Is this all the parts I will need. I got them from ford. NO# 1l5z7z490ea
and 3l5z7m203ja. All I want is for the 2-3 flare to calm down. This is my daily driver so I don't need a shift kit or anything. The EPC shows 5 omh And no burned fluid or broken band's in the pan. I would like to put a drain plug in the pan but cannot find one. Where could I get one? I will be following the dairy on the 5r55e for this project. Any info will be greatly apreciated. Thank's.

I would get a new reverse servo cover gasket (~1-2 $) and still would consider a shift kit. Remember to use the following thread also:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154655

I got the drain plug from my local Advance Auto store. A new solenoid bracket may be also advisable.

Good luck!
Bill:notworthy

Add on oil drain plugs are at most stores. There is usually a bif display board of drain plugs for oil, and on there is a "universal" replacement.

I got the parts put in and I still have a small 2-3 flare. Could this be from not changing the EPC? The trans now shifts one hundred percent better though. I would recomend this upgrade to anyone that is having trans shifting problems. Thank's billj for reminding me about the gasket, It was 5 bucks at my local ford dealer. Is there another solenoid that might need to be changed while Iam going to get back in there again?

The TCC, and EPC solenoids are modulated. They are considered high wear parts. The EPC solenoids usually go faster due to contamination which accumulates over a period of time.

A replacement EPC is a good fix, but not a 100% guarantee.

what would a 100% guarantee be? Should I replace the tcc and epc at the same time? I only want to go back in there one more time.

A 100% guarantee may not be achievable, but a remanufactured valve body would come as close as you could get. Certain of the spools control modulated circuits, and like the EPC and TCC, suffer accelerated wear as a result. In some cases, in my opinion, those worn bores may prevent you from ever achieving a sure fix of the flare issue. Sonnax makes releeving parts for those bores, but the tools to do it are expensive... more than a reman'd valve body.

I had the 2-3 and nothing I did resolved it. Finally put in a reman from a store on ebay and problem solved. If nothing else works for you try a different "know good" Valve Body.

If you go in again, I would re-torque the VB bolts to the high end of the spec and adjust the bands if you have not done so already. Get new band xxxx(nuts) before adjusting the bands.

Thanks BB for the catch. Below is a picture of a used vs. new band nut. Best to change them when adjusting the bands.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32654&stc=1

Last edited:

The bolts don't need to be replaced, but only the lock nuts since they have seals.

I will give this a try with the band adjustments. Should I have the codes erased? The od light was blicking before I done the valve body and now it's not. The guy at the shop read the codes and said it was a bad soleniod. Then I readf about the VB update and used that. Now all is fine except the 2-3 flare. It will not do it all the time. Just when I have to take off from a dead stop.

Find out what the code numbers are before clearing them.

Back