Parting out 97 splorer with Torque Monsters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parting out 97 splorer with Torque Monsters

Explorer Junky

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4 dr 5.0
Either selling whole, or parting out 97 splorer with 5.0. Have Torque Monster headers with phenolic spacer. 1.7 full roller rockers. Just had a new Magnaflow 2/2.5" in/out to the corners 2 months ago. BFGOODRICH 31x10.5 on 15 barely a year old with over 85% or better tread left. New upper control arms left and right. New lower ball joints also. Mechanicall very sound. Still doesn't burn any oil. Pm me for phone number. Pictures on demand. Sorry it's dark outside right now. $1500 complete, or we can talk about prices on individual parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are you located?

Virginia Beach, Va. Goot bit farther than I wanted to travel for a whole truck to be honest

Maybe. I just had my vehicle shipped to me from Chicago. 100 buck. 3.5 hour drive. There might be options

Interested in headers sending PM

Do you still have the headers???

Interested in headers and if you have charcoal canister bracket (if you are willing to ship internationally)

Edit: just realized this is from 2017

What is it about buying brand new tires that causes these trucks to meet their demise?, I swear anyone who either installs a new engine or a new set of tires be careful you r truck maybe getting crushed soon... It seems every Gen II we buy for parts either has a "new engine" or "brand new tires"
I wonder what ever happened to this 97 Gem.....

I just bought new winter tires :eek:

What is it about buying brand new tires that causes these trucks to meet their demise?, I swear anyone who either installs a new engine or a new set of tires be careful you r truck maybe getting crushed soon... It seems every Gen II we buy for parts either has a "new engine" or "brand new tires"
Engines and tires don't last forever, at some point they need to be replaced.

That's a horrible thing to say.

I just got done installing new tires this afternoon. I needed to rotate tires, but without my jack stands(all being used) I chose to just replace them a pair at a time. I'll swap the old tires back on the next time I have to pull wheels off.

Damn my 99 has new tires and a 1year old engine

Would you be willing to ship? I’ll pay shipping. I’m interested in the torque monsters (as is everyone else.

pretty sure the headers went bye bye about two years ago.......

You can still buy Torque Monster Headers brand new (08/05/2019)
You can also buy OBX headers which are a clone of the TMH for a little cheaper, but the quality is not nearly as good as the TMH, but you do save a little $$$$

pretty sure the headers went bye bye about two years ago.......

You can still buy Torque Monster Headers brand new (08/05/2019)
You can also buy OBX headers which are a clone of the TMH for a little cheaper, but the quality is not nearly as good as the TMH, but you do save a little $$$$

Hint hint, as much time as you've spent on these trucks, I know you can weld and fabricate well. Have you thought of making a basic log manifold yourself for one of your 302 Explorers? I'd like to see you try that, just use 1 5/8" short pipes and merge them into a slightly larger pipe as it goes front to back. Even making such a thing with the awful ball collector to bolt onto the stock down pipes would be good.

When I get to it, from the back to the front, I'll use a 2.5" v-band clamp near where the stock collectors are. But anything is an improvement, and I bet you could do it in a few hours per side. I know it comes down to labor rates, what is your time worth. This should have been done about 15 years ago, by now there should be a replacement manifold like that from say Dorman or BBK etc.

GOOD IDEA!!

I also want to try and use some old 289 manifolds that I am 99.9% sure will fit the gt40p 302 in a Ranger, you can get those headers for like $120 and they are good to 400+ HP...... simple junk yard solutions any day over highly customized parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back