• Register Today It's free!

Parts Needed Rear Window Fix

BigRed22

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
Hey everyone, Im looking for parts to fix both of my rear window motors (with cables). What parts do I need, and where can I find them? Its a 91 XL. I fixed the front windows with the dorman help kit. Thanks for the help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find them at Napa. you need a regulator and motor. I think the regulators from napa come with motors, but I'm not positive.

to complete the repair you will need to drill or cut out the the rivits. Then you will either need to replace the rivets or sub some nuts and bolts. I think the rivets are 3/8" but they might be 1/2". Standard rivet guns do not support that size rivets. you can buy a cheap one at Harbor Freight.

Yea I've read TBars how to. Just wondering where Ican find the parts. Thanks

I got my cable-less motor regulator system from the local pick-n-pull. I just used a sawzall and cut open the door and took the motor home where I drilled out the rivets to get the old skin off..

The only "tricky" thing was not getting confused by the pic of "where" it goes. It appears it goes where the speaker goes.. But it doesn't.. it goes higher up.. in the same place it was in the donor vehicle and it does NOT go where the original cable type motor was.

~Mark

I got my cable-less motor regulator system from the local pick-n-pull. I just used a sawzall and cut open the door and took the motor home where I drilled out the rivets to get the old skin off..

The only "tricky" thing was not getting confused by the pic of "where" it goes. It appears it goes where the speaker goes.. But it doesn't.. it goes higher up.. in the same place it was in the donor vehicle and it does NOT go where the original cable type motor was.

~Mark

So I could just pull it from any rear doors in a 95-01?

Thats all I did.. I just wandered around the yard looking for 2nd gen explorers that were far enough away from another vehicle to open the door all the way AND looked like a lower mileage (less used) vehicle.

~Mark

yep.... if age bothers you look for an 01 with lower mileage. But realistically I haven't seen too many people driving with the back windows down, so I would assume they're all good to go.

I thought the Source of the parts was in TBARS writeup

Back