Parts store

F500

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
Hi guys!

Don't you just like it when you go to the garage to get an alignment and end up with a 1400$ estimate?!? I can't really say that I didn't see this coming since I never changed anything other than the oil, brakes and bearings... Now I need to change the front shocks, front lower ball joints, rear driver upper ball joint and both rear tie rods. My question: what brands do you recommand and what part store should I order it from?

Thanks!

F500
2004 Explorer Limited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people go with Moog.. You can find the parts at our vendor Rock Auto. http://www.rockauto.com If you go to the Vendors section, there should be a updated discount code to get 5% off your order.

First off make sure they aren't taking you for a 1400 dollar ride. Search on here on how to check if the parts are indeed worn out. How many miles do you have? If the parts are worn do you plan to do the work yourself or are you buying the parts for the shop?

As for place to buy, check rockauto.com, there is a 5% discount for forum members, code is on here if you search.

Just an FYI I'm not sure "rear tie rod" is the correct term for the part but I could be incorrect.

I normally shop at advance because they have codes for 40 off 100, and I split my order up into several and pick it up locally to save on shipping but I don't know if you have them around you.

Thanks for the replies! My truck is now at 165K miles. I was actually with the mechanics when they checked it. My front tires were really unevenly worn and had a little play in them.

Hi guys!

Don't you just like it when you go to the garage to get an alignment and end up with a 1400$ estimate?!? I can't really say that I didn't see this coming since I never changed anything other than the oil, brakes and bearings... Now I need to change the front shocks, front lower ball joints, rear driver upper ball joint and both rear tie rods. My question: what brands do you recommand and what part store should I order it from?

Thanks!

F500
2004 Explorer Limited

If you happened to get that $1400 repair quote from one of the following places like, "Midas, Monroe, Meineke, Sears or Firestone", you may want to get a 2nd repair quote from some local, non-nationally chained repair shop that can do a 4 wheel, computerized wheel alignment. Places like I mentioned above are notorious for over priced, non needed repair quotes. You probably have something wrong upfront with the suspension or alignment due to the unevenly worn front tires, but needing all of those things you mentioned from the repair quote, possibly not.
On what parts to use, many in here recommend "Strut tek" strut-spring combo assemblies(whole unit) that you can buy at "Prime Choice Auto parts"(web site by same name) for approx $75-$80 each. They are half the price of Monroe strut/spring assemblies. Buy and replace the whole strut/spring assembly as one unit, it is an easier repair to do and no spring compressor is needed. There are posts in here on how to do that repair. On the ball joints and tie rods, I recommend the "Moog" brand(made in USA). They make quality suspension parts and I'm pretty sure they come with a lifetime warranty. BTW, you can get Moog parts that come with grease nipples, so you can re-grease the ball joints and tie rods at regular maintenance intervals. Yes it is more maintenance work, but they last a lot longer and they come with the peace of mind you knowing you have fresh grease in the ball joints and tie rods. I like this type better myself than the pre-greased, sealed ones. You can buy Moog Brand suspension parts at just about any parts store out there. There are posts in here on how to replace ball joints and tie rods as well. Use the search box at the top of the forum to find them.

The best thing about the suspension on our explorers is that they are so easy to work on. With a jack and a $20 socket set you can change out anything in a matter of hours. There are write ups on here for changing out all of that. Do the work yourself and save $500.

The rear tie rod is called either a lateral link or toe link. When I replaced mine last year it was a dealer part. I checked several parts places and they stocked moog, trw etc. no go. Couple hundred dollars as I recall. Maybe someone's come out with one since.

moog has replacements. the inner + outers cost $90ish for the two shipped... plus its moog. :D. Im also doing moog upper control arms and sway bar links.

moog has replacements. the inner + outers cost $90ish for the two shipped... plus its moog. :D. Im also doing moog upper control arms and sway bar links.

The bushings in the sway bar link kit are crap. I had 2 sets blow out on me in a matter of days. Advance Auto sells red ones (can't remember the brand) but they work great. I used them with the Moog bolts and washers and have lasted through offroading, jumping and a bunch of street driving.

I'm one that likes the idea of preventive maintenance last year when it was time for me to change my struts to save time and money on labor I just bought and replaced both the strut and spring with an all in one assembly. Two weeks ago I had to change the seals on my front drive assembly and rear lower control arm bushings rather then wasting all that time taking out the lower control arm and pressing out the seal and then following up to do the lower ball joint and front seal a little ways down the road I just replaced the whole lower control arm assembly that came with all new bushings already mounted to the control arm. I had a ripped boot on one upper ball joint (drivers side) and one tie rod (passengers side), both worked fine still but knowing that with a bad boot it was only a matter of time before it would need to be replaced and with everything off the truck and the parts right there I just replaced them all and do one front end alignment now rather then one this year and maybe another one a year down the road.

All my parts came from Advanced Auto parts. I have a 2002 XLT Explorer with the original 10 year old suspension If you can afford it do it all at once and forget about it. Shop around and see what you can find for prices to get the work done I wouldn't worry about a mechanic to do the work and the alignment since the alignment will cost pretty much the same no matter who you have do it. Oh and get yourself some new tires ;)

All my parts came from Advanced Auto parts. ;)

I hope you used the Advance Auto Parts online coupons from www.couponcabin.com, because it sounds like you ordered a few hundred dollars worth of parts and using their online coupons could have saved you $40 off of every $100 spent on parts. They have a $40 off coupon for a $100 order and you can split up your parts order into several, seperate $100 orders and use the coupon for each, seperate order. You just have to try to get each order as close to $100 as you can. Not a bad savings in my book.

HiImBrian;3027695 Advance Auto sells red ones (can't remember the brand) but they work great. .[/QUOTE said:
If I remember right, I think they are called "Energy Suspension" replacement bushings and cost around $20 for the set.

I hope you used the Advance Auto Parts online coupons from www.couponcabin.com, because it sounds like you ordered a few hundred dollars worth of parts and using their online coupons could have saved you $40 off of every $100 spent on parts. They have a $40 off coupon for a $100 order and you can split up your parts order into several, seperate $100 orders and use the coupon for each, seperate order. You just have to try to get each order as close to $100 as you can. Not a bad savings in my book.

I'm actually lucky enough to have a friend who has a shop account with them and my savings was pretty much the same but he got to deal with them for the returns.

If I remember right, I think they are called "Energy Suspension" replacement bushings and cost around $20 for the set.

Yep! That's them!

And rockauto.com blows advance right out of the water on prices.

Yep! That's them!

And rockauto.com blows advance right out of the water on prices.

Yeah, but Advance Auto Parts has some great online coupons you can use and no shipping charges. It depends on what is convenient to your location I guess.

I agree with what Exproblems stated about going to the major "chain" repair shops. the mark up on the parts can be astronomical, but they really make the money on the labor. I would venture to say that the majority of that estimate was the labor. I had a similar situation happen where I went to get an estimate on brakes all the way around on my car at the time from Midas. They quoted me $700. I didn't have any experience working on cars at the time, but a friend of mine helped me get them done. He worked at a parts store, so I was able to get the parts for about $200. He showed me what to do and an hour or so and a 6 pack, we were done! From that point on, I learned to do as much as I can to fix my vehicles myself. Bottom line is these shops will rip you off because they know that the majority of people who bring a vehicle in for repair don't know how to fix them. The only time I go to any of these places now is just to find out what's wrong with the vehicle and if I can, I'll repair it myself. Most anything on the Explorer can be fixed with the help of this site and a good repair manual!

For OEM parts, Tasca Ford offer "Cheapest prices anywhere. We will meet or beat any price 100% money back guarantee"
I have had customer service issues with a particular person in their sales dept but pretty sure that guy/girl? (JWhalen) deals mainly with International orders. Otherwise, they are excellent.

If you happened to get that $1400 repair quote from one of the following places like, "Midas, Monroe, Meineke, Sears or Firestone", you may want to get a 2nd repair quote from some local, non-nationally chained repair shop that can do a 4 wheel, computerized wheel alignment. Places like I mentioned above are notorious for over priced, non needed repair quotes. You probably have something wrong upfront with the suspension or alignment due to the unevenly worn front tires, but needing all of those things you mentioned from the repair quote, possibly not.
On what parts to use, many in here recommend "Strut tek" strut-spring combo assemblies(whole unit) that you can buy at "Prime Choice Auto parts"(web site by same name) for approx $75-$80 each. They are half the price of Monroe strut/spring assemblies. Buy and replace the whole strut/spring assembly as one unit, it is an easier repair to do and no spring compressor is needed. There are posts in here on how to do that repair. On the ball joints and tie rods, I recommend the "Moog" brand(made in USA). They make quality suspension parts and I'm pretty sure they come with a lifetime warranty. BTW, you can get Moog parts that come with grease nipples, so you can re-grease the ball joints and tie rods at regular maintenance intervals. Yes it is more maintenance work, but they last a lot longer and they come with the peace of mind you knowing you have fresh grease in the ball joints and tie rods. I like this type better myself than the pre-greased, sealed ones. You can buy Moog Brand suspension parts at just about any parts store out there. There are posts in here on how to replace ball joints and tie rods as well. Use the search box at the top of the forum to find them.

Thanks for the tip on the Strut Tek! Since they don't have a listing for the rear outer lateral link, I will buy one from my local parts place that carry Moog. What is the reputation of Prime Choice parts for the front lower ball joints and rear upper ball joint? The price is very good... (saving 94$ on those three parts alone!)

. What is the reputation of Prime Choice parts for the front lower ball joints and rear upper ball joint? The price is very good... (saving 94$ on those three parts alone!)

I really don't know how good Prime Choice Auto Parts reputation is on their ball joints or where the ball joints are made. For me, I would stick with Moog for the ball joints, made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. I know the Strut Tek Struts are made in China, but many in here have bought them and really like the way they perform and the price is great. Myself, I haven't ordered anything from Prime Choice yet, but plan on buying the Strut Tek Struts when my current ones need changing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found some comments on a forum about Prime Choice Parts... I'll just say that I will pay the difference to go with Moog parts for the ball joints... Don't feel like doing it all over again anytime soon. I'll let you know how the Strut Tek make out!

Thanks you all for your comments :thumbsup:

Back