• Register Today It's free!

parts

magic302

Reaction score
City, State
spartansburg, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER XLT
do we sell parts on here I am looking for a 2004 explorer 4.0 automatic 4x4 transmission

Thanx Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do we sell parts on here I am looking for a 2004 explorer 4.0 automatic 4x4 transmission

Thanx Dave
Haha well if I cant figure out my instrument cluster issue i may end up selling the whole thing for parts. Tell me more about your transmission issue though if ya dont mind. For sure its gone?

Haha well if I cant figure out my instrument cluster issue i may end up selling the whole thing for parts. Tell me more about your transmission issue though if ya dont mind. For sure its gone?
it was just fine then stopped & would not move so i put in low & it just went fine & get up to speed i can manually shift it it is ok & no reverse. that about sumes it up Thanx Dave

it was just fine then stopped & would not move so i put in low & it just went fine & get up to speed i can manually shift it it is ok & no reverse. that about sumes it up Thanx Dave
So is it only working in 4lo? I'm inexperienced in transmissions but I've seen a few threads about them. There is definitely some help on here for you with your problem. What things have you done to diagnose the issue? What things led up to the issue?

Welcome to the forum, there is a sale section as well as year/gen. specific sections for questions/ tutorials etc.

So is it only working in 4lo? I'm inexperienced in transmissions but I've seen a few threads about them. There is definitely some help on here for you with your problem. What things have you done to diagnose the issue? What things led up to the issue?
i MEAN 1ST GEAR NOT LOW RANGE well took it to trans. shop they said needs a complete rebuild I am on ss don't have that kind of money so i was looking for a used one to put in Thanx for any help Dave

i MEAN 1ST GEAR NOT LOW RANGE well took it to trans. shop they said needs a complete rebuild I am on ss don't have that kind of money so i was looking for a used one to put in Thanx for any help Dave

Interesting. And I apologize. When you said low i thought u meant 4wheel low. As I said in not great with transmissions but if you can manually shift it thru the gears 1 2 and 3 and just D doesn't work maybe there is an adjustment that could be made prior to condemning the entire transmission as bad. And to be honest most of them our year have high mileage. Mine has about 200k on it. Maybe take it for a second opinion or search around on the web a bit more. Repair shops like that will 9/10 times tell you the entire trans needs a rebuild cuz they cant see whats going on inside and hey who knows, maybe they arent even truly qualified to work on these transmissions. Sorry. Ive had my share of **** experiences with garages. And they're not always competent enough to properly diagnose an issue. If you took it to Ford they have crazy scanners that can read every input and output. I wouldnt jump into a trans swap just yet.

Interesting. And I apologize. When you said low i thought u meant 4wheel low. As I said in not great with transmissions but if you can manually shift it thru the gears 1 2 and 3 and just D doesn't work maybe there is an adjustment that could be made prior to condemning the entire transmission as bad. And to be honest most of them our year have high mileage. Mine has about 200k on it. Maybe take it for a second opinion or search around on the web a bit more. Repair shops like that will 9/10 times tell you the entire trans needs a rebuild cuz they cant see whats going on inside and hey who knows, maybe they arent even truly qualified to work on these transmissions. Sorry. Ive had my share of **** experiences with garages. And they're not always competent enough to properly diagnose an issue. If you took it to Ford they have crazy scanners that can read every input and output. I wouldnt jump into a trans swap just yet.

Hey I found a great thread that will pretty much explain your problem. Here's the link...bad news, sounds like you need some tranny work but post questions on this thread for further assistance.

Help Please - No Reverse or Drive But 1&2 Work

Back