Passenger A Pillar cover on sport

expoman55

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Parrish FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Exp Sport, 2019 f150
I have a 15 sport that has a black cover on A pillar .. my passenger A pillar cover is not coming loose.. No impact or anyting having touched it.. WTF

Anyone else experience this?
What is the fix

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 15 sport that has a black cover on A pillar .. my passenger A pillar cover is not coming loose.. No impact or anyting having touched it.. WTF

Anyone else experience this?
What is the fix

thanks
I'm guessing you meant to say "cover IS coming loose". There are several threads/post about 'A' pillar issues including flying off while driving. It is not a new issue but problems have tailed off sharply since the early models. There is one showing the pillar without the cover. More than likely some of the plastic clips that hold it down have broken.

Peter

thanks peter I appreciate your thoughts YEs it IS coming loose .. What I struggle with is how these clips just /break or come loose'

Guess Ill just get it to t ealer and let him handle it .. kinda ticks me off that these would be that fragile so to speak.

Just got back from a 4200 mile round trip across the southern states. I only bought my 2016 Sport a couple of weeks before we left on the trip. I had noticed the passenger side plastic trim on the a-pillar was not fitted properly when we bought it and the dealer said they'd take care of it, but we couldn't get our schedules together before our trip. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but driving back through New Mexico a couple if days ago the rubber trim between the plastic and the windshield started tearing away and eventually ripped completely out going down the road. Needless to say, I got to listen to a rattle for the next 1500 miles home.

I did a search on here about the problem and did see a few posts, but they were mostly from around 2012, and some had been removed. Is there a known problem with these trim pieces? Maybe a TSB?

The 'A' pillar was a source of several issues on the earlier Explorers. The main issues were wind noise and the trim coming loose or flying off while driving. The is a TSB listed in the TSB thread in the' Sticky' section but it applies to 2011-2012 models; 12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2 011. There has been nothing since.

Peter

The 'A' pillar was a source of several issues on the earlier Explorers. The main issues were wind noise and the trim coming loose or flying off while driving. The is a TSB listed in the TSB thread in the' Sticky' section but it applies to 2011-2012 models; 12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2 011. There has been nothing since.

Peter
Well, that sounds exactly like what my '16 is doing. The trim itself hasn't flew off (yet), but the rubber under it is gone from both sides. I guess I need to buy some new pieces.

If you are planning to DIY it, perhaps this may help; Explorer 'A' pillar replacement
Make sure you get new clips with the panel.

Peter
Thanks.
I just ordered everything from ANFWBL and they assured me that the clips and the rubber seal is included. I own a 6.0 diesel and several other Fords too, so I've done quite a bit of business with those guys over the years. With shipping it was almost $400, but I should be able to put it back like new. Kinda sucks to have to this on a vehicle I haven't even paid the first payment on yet, but I really like it so far, so I want it right.

Did you contact the dealership about this? I think that since it was a "defect" when you bought it that they should at least contribute to the expense to replace it.

Peter

Did you contact the dealership about this? I think that since it was a "defect" when you bought it that they should at least contribute to the expense to replace it.

Peter
They were going to "fix" the passenger side, but I suspect it would have been with some kind of adhesive. I figured since the drivers side happened after the purchase I'd be stuck with that one anyway so I just decided to take care of both myself and know it was done right. Also, I bought it at a Volkswagen dealership, so the chances of getting OEM Ford parts (if they did actually replace it) was slim.

I installed the new A-pillar trim pieces yesterday evening. Looks good as new and only took about 5-10 minutes. I did find out from the salesman that the windshield had been replaced at some point. I'm sure they just put the old trim back on it and that's why both sides failed. No doubt some of the clips were broken and the rubber strip likely didn't adhere to the new windshield. Hopefully, they'll last a little longer than 4 years and 45k miles this time.

When this issue started happening with the 2011s Ford just had them replace the trim piece. After several reports of the piece flying off on the highway they decided to include new clips in the package. Glad to hear that you got it fixed.

Peter

Back