• Register Today It's free!

passenger door lock

just1me

Reaction score
City, State
Pryor, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ranger Stepside 2.5
I have read through many door lock threads about latches, springs, and actuators, but I am not sure my exact problem.

I have a 2001 explorer sport, and the passenger door is the problem. You have to manually lock it from the inside, the power locks will not lock the door, but they will unlock it just fine. If it is locked, you have to unlock it from the inside to get in, with the power locks and then you can open the door from the inside or outside handle just fine. The outside latch seems fine, it opens the passenger door with no problems, as well as the inside latch, but you can not lock the door using the key, the lock cylinder seems to be frozen stuck. I was thinking maybe it was the rod from the key cylinder to the lock actuator, or the lock actuator itself but I'm not sure, thought I'd ask first before I try and fix it.

Well I fixed it today it was the rivet for the lock actuator bracket that broke. I took the door apart, and apparently it had been apart before and the actuator replaced as it looked new. I used a 1/4" bolt through it with a nut to resecure it and its working great good as new.

Back