Passenger Door Won't Open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Door Won't Open

tcobb64

Reaction score
I have a 99 Explorer with a door problem. I had been hearing a "rubbing" sound when opening the door but couldn't find anything. The other day I shut the door but it didn't close all the way. When i tried to open to reshut it, it didn't act right. I had to put my shoulder to it to get it to open. It opened and I shut it. It has never opened since from the inside or outside. The lock seems to be working. At least it's going up and down. I got the handle off and it wasn't broke. WHen I pull on the inside or outside handle they both feel like the door is locked. HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did the same thing on the driver side...do a search on the "Latch" you will find instructions on how to change this out...took me about 30min the first time...There is a little spring that breaks in the latch assembly. I went to a salvage yard and got one for cheap...plus you can figure out how to remove it, it is alittle tricky

So the lock "button" stills goes up and down when trying to lock/unlock, but the door itself doesn't unlock?

How tough is it to get the door panel off with the door closed?

Sounds like a loose latch mechanism, find the right torque key to fit it and tighten up, but then just back it off a fraction to allow it to move when you shut door.close the door once and fully tighten the latch bolts- job done, also check the mechanism inside the door, make sure its not loose at all and the door pins on the door hinges. if this wont fix it the rest of your car is bent outta shape............but the good news is your door is fine!

I've tried the latch suggestions with no luck. I have a question. If the yellow block thing is the problem, does the lock button go up and down when trying to lock/unlock? Mine does. One more thing, the door stuck shut. It cannot be opened. So I can't do anything with the latch that requires the door to be open. Can you unlatch from inside the door?

Final Answer

Just thought I'd leave a followup to my delima.

Nothing in the latch itself was broken. I finally had to break off the electrical connection and drill around the hole giving access to the striker bolt. I was able to enlarge the hole so I could unscrew the striker bolt allowing me to open the door.

I replaced the old latch with a new one and everything works fine. I examined the old latch but all I could find was a couple of broken plastic pieces jammed inside. When I removed them, the latch started working fine. I didn't know where the pieces came from but did notice they were the same color as the interior. Oh well.

A couple of days later, I stopped to get gas. When I shut the door I noticed it didn't close all the way. Oh, great, not again! When I opened the door I noticed the seat belt was between the latch and the striker keeping the door from closing. WHEW! But then I noticed that the little plastic button was missing from the seat belt. AH HA! That's what got caught in the latch and caused me weeks of misery.

By the way, what's that little plastic button for anyway?

By the way, what's that little plastic button for anyway?

Keeps the buckle from sliding all the way down to the floor. Basically, just keeps it accessable.

Good to note, my passenger seat belt doesn't retract with authority anymore from years of use, might be motivation to fix that...

im having a similar problem
my passenger door wont open on my 98 sport
and i cant figure out what to do
can any one give me a step by step
on what to look for or try?

i went to the stealer ship today
and got it fixed
i was disappointed because i look away for a second and when i look back the door was open
i have no idea how they did it but its fixed

Back