• Register Today It's free!

Passenger door wont unlock

jumpervb

Reaction score
City, State
roanoke,va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT & 2011 XLT
By power locks or with key. Knob moves up and down but not completely up on unlock.
Any help would be appreciated. Cant get it open to remove the cover.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is that a small spring inside the latch has broken (common problem) and is jamming the latch. I managed to fish one out of my '97 Sport's driver's door latch with a pair of forceps and it's been working fine w/out the spring for almost 2 years now.

Obviously you need to get the door open to look at/remove the latch. Mine would jam intermittently, but if you played with it enough it would unlock. Try turning/wiggling the key back and forth in the lock quickly, but don't force it.

Koda is right about the broken spring. Very common. When mine
broke I was able to cycle the remote several times and it finally
unlatched and I was able to repair it using a small universal spring.

If it simply won't release, you might try a strong magnet on the
outside of the door. Might work, might not...good luck.

If the weather ever breaks I will try several things.
Cycling the locks are just not getting it done. With the key or the door control.
Haven't had a remote in years...

I used an add on external spring on my driver side. Found an example pic on this forum.

My rear driver side door does this every once in a while also. A few quick pulls up and down by hand has always done the trick.

My guess is that a small spring inside the latch has broken (common problem) and is jamming the latch. I managed to fish one out of my '97 Sport's driver's door latch with a pair of forceps and it's been working fine w/out the spring for almost 2 years now.

Obviously you need to get the door open to look at/remove the latch. Mine would jam intermittently, but if you played with it enough it would unlock. Try turning/wiggling the key back and forth in the lock quickly, but don't force it.

Yeah, that's what it was.
After about 2000 lock-unlocks with the door control and door key I finally got it to open! Got biggest piece of spring out of the latch but evidently there is still a small piece in the latch. It still hangs up occasionally and cycling the lock gets it unlocked eventually.
didn't want to mess with removing the latch to get that piece out so I disabled the auto lock feature.
Now if I want to lock it I have to do it but the good news is it can't screw up unless I lock it.
Out of curiosity, is there any way to get the door off without having it open?

By power locks or with key. Knob moves up and down but not completely up on unlock.
Any help would be appreciated. Cant get it open to remove the cover.

Hi , I have (What sounds like) the Same problem. I did some investigation and found a way to open the door.
1. Unlock the door.
2. Cycle the outside door handle
3. Pull the inside door lock knob up. (In my case, It moved up a little farther)
4. Now open the door, From the inside or out. (This seems to work for me).

I will do some more investigation to the lock. seem to be a lever not moving back to the proper location.
If I find something, Will post pics.

In cold weather the grease in the latch mechanism will thicken, combined with hardening from age... if your spring is broken you might have better luck by liberally spraying some WD-40 in to loosen up the grease, THEN try locking and unlocking several times while the lube in it is wet.

In cold weather the grease in the latch mechanism will thicken, combined with hardening from age... if your spring is broken you might have better luck by liberally spraying some WD-40 in to loosen up the grease, THEN try locking and unlocking several times while the lube in it is wet.

[QUOTE="rprice51, post: 3845432, member: 287417
It worked. My door latch was unlubed and dry.

I am having a similar issue. I can unlock the passenger door with my key and it will unlock if I use the inside handle, but it does not unlock using the power door unlock. Not sure if I have an actuator issue or something else. I can tell the actuator has already been replaced once.

Back