Passenger Light won't activate when brake pedal pressed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Light won't activate when brake pedal pressed

adamdonoghue

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer
Last week my brakes stopped working. I replaced the brake light switch with a generic one and they still wouldn't work. I ordered a genuine Ford switch and put it in today. Now the driver's side brake works when the pedal is pressed, but the passenger doesn't. It does light up if I activate the hazard light though. I figure the bulb might be bad, but a new bulb proved me wrong. This was not a problem prior to the switch going out.

Any ideas?

Solved it.

Apparently if you position the turn indicator to the right turn position, it will cut passenger side brake light when the vehicle is turned off.

The stock multifunction switch (includes turn signal lever) gets sloppy over time and breaks contact when it's not actually activated. Check if this is the cause by hitting the brakes and wiggling the turn signal switch back and forth (without actually clicking into the signal positions). If the brake light in question works when you jiggle the turn signal switch, best fix is a new or lower mileage switch. I got mine from a junkyard and it took about 2 minutes to replace it.

Back