Passenger Mirror Glass Replacement Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Mirror Glass Replacement Help

Jerm87

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Seeing if someone could help with where I could get instructions on removing the glass portion of the passenger side mirror. I wasn't paying attention to amount of glass cleaner I applied while cleaning with my steel wool and scratched the thing up. If someone could give some instructions on how to get the glass portion out I would I appreciate it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I unfortunately have experience with mirror matters pertaining to the 2017. I have literally lost both mirrors in two separate accidents in the space of six months. Unbelievable. First one was my fault... lost my passenger mirror when going around a F-150 with extended trailer mirrors and misjudged the distance. Second one was just last week and a oncoming BMW crossed the yellow line. Thankfully I had dashcam footage that showed he was at fault, and thankfully he was "just" over the yellow line. Another second, it might have been an actual head on.

The glass does detach and it's held in by 3 long clips through vaseline (for adjustable function), a molex plug, and one, maybe two actual clips like you would find in the interior. I'm fairly sure it just pops right out and back in. I don't have any other pics as they are now repaired. And my understanding is you can either order the entire mirror housing or the glass separately. The housing is expensive. The driver side is nearly $1100 CDN and the passenger side is *only* $750 CDN. Not sure why, but I was told the driver side has additional tech in it.

Here's a couple pics:
HBhWsM.jpg

p3vdXm.jpg

The extra cost for the driver's side may be due to the self dimming feature.

Peter

Oh wow, but still.. those prices are crazy. The total claims were $2282 CDN (driver side) and $1703 CDN (passenger side) -- in both cases the side windows were also replaced due to getting scratched from the mirror smashing into it and done by the same shop. Both new mirror assemblies also required painting (Ford black) on the Sports. Thankful for car insurance, couldn't imagine paying out of pocket to replace a mirror.

HI all, I swear it was passing... the other one must of jump in front!?!
Ho well, final count:
- mirror (glass) does not seem to hold properly in place but no cracks
- Lost the cover plate
- Blind spot on driver side do not work anymore (System disabled it)
Dealer want 1000$CAN, and it will need a paint job
A used car part want 400$CAN, it is already painted
Found it on Ebay for 275$US painted black
Now I could simply get the cover for around 50$, does 2011-15 fits 2016?

Can someone tell me what part of the blind spot system would be living in the mirror, if I manage to fix that, may save the assembly and just get the cover.

If this is the cover you are talking about, then it going by what the site says it should fit. Mirror Cover - Ford (BB5Z-17D743-BAPTM) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
As far as I know, the only part of the BLIS system that is in the mirror is the warning light. The radar sensors are located behind the bumper fascia on each side of your vehicle.
The above site lists the mirror at around $450 U.S.

Peter

Little update, I found the cover... few scratches and a corner bended, ,might be able to salvage it
Mirror BLIS light came back on, system is not reporting any error anymore!?!?! so mirror itself is fine, YAY.

Now the remaining issue would be pins on which the mirror is held in the motor.
They are barely holding the mirror and if try to reposition the mirror using the motor, the pins pop out. And I am unable to bring it back to the perfect spot manually.
When I look at the mirror for sold, it seems like the pins are not coming with it. If I understand well, they are part of the motor assembly?
Can someone confirm? Then I'll just need a motor assembly.

This may help ; this is the video I watched to change my mirror.

Got confused as my post was merge with another one!!! All good once understood
So I finally ordered a new motor, seems like working fine, but...
When installing, I notice it was missing something on the new motor to plug another cable, pretty sure it was a feedback loop for auto positioning.
Second, once installed auto positioning ain't working anymore (what did I told you...)
So for those willing to change, make sure to confirm w/ or w/o memory!
2016 explorer, w/ memory: 6U5Z-17D696-D
2016 explorer, w/o memory: 6U5Z-17D696-c
Returning and ordering w/ memory...

Now regarding the cover, I see a paint to match at 60$(depending on seller) and a carbon at 25$US(best price I found)
Can someone confirm the difference? Looks like I am going to order 2 carbon, cheaper then 1 paint to match!?!
BB5Z-17D743-BAPTM
BB5Z-17D743-AA

Back