Passenger side blowing warm a/c air? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passenger side blowing warm a/c air?

02XLS

Reaction score
City, State
The 51st state South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
2002 Explorer XLS....Passenger side vents are not as cold with a/c on.
(manual a/c unit) Tested charge and it shows 40 vs 45 being a full charge. Could my gauge be wrong? The rear passenger air vents feel real cold as well as the driver side middle & side vents but the front pass. middle and pass. side vent does not feel as cold nor as strong blowing. The air is not warm as stated in other threads but just not as cold. Do I need a charge? Is it the blend actuator? If so, where is the passenger blend actuator located or is there only one actuator for the whole setup? Location? Searched through the forum and only found driver's side info. HELP!!!

Thx., 02XLS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I tested the charge again and it was down to around 28....Gave a can of R134 and all seems well. Pass. side reads about 60 vs driver side 55, ok by me!!!

02XLS

Ya know I just don't see how a low refrigerant charge could cause the manual a/c units to blow cold on one side and warm on the other. With the manual system all the air blows from the plenum through one blend door and out to the vents. Right? How's it possible for one side to be colder than the other? 02XLS is the 3rd or 4th person to report that charging up the refrigerant does in fact fix this issue... I guess I'm a believer now.:confused:

Ya know I just don't see how a low refrigerant charge could cause the manual a/c units to blow cold on one side and warm on the other. With the manual system all the air blows from the plenum through one blend door and out to the vents. Right? How's it possible for one side to be colder than the other? 02XLS is the 3rd or 4th person to report that charging up the refrigerant does in fact fix this issue... I guess I'm a believer now.:confused:

I had the same problem earlier this summer, but as I reported in another thread, a can of R134 did the trick. Don't know why but my Ex blows cold on all vents now.

Back