• Register Today It's free!

Passenger Side Door wont open

brideosuperman

Reaction score
City, State
Martin, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
So glad I found this forum. I read several post about the dreaded door handles and door locks. But I cant find the answer to my problem.

This morning I went out to our 01 Explorer sport and tried to open the passenger side door. The outside broke in my hand. :( I knew that ford handles are back about braking so I wasnt too broken hearted over it. After climbing in and trying to open the door from the inside, I realized that the door WILL NOT OPEN. The lock REFUSES to unlock. So now I have a door that I cant open.

I realize that there are parts that now need to be replaced but how can I get the door panel off to replace them if I cant get the door open.

I tried the remote, the key in the door, pressing the unlock button 1000 times...nothing. Any idea how to get the door open without having to take it to the dealer and get my wallet cleaned out?

Thanks in advance

So glad I found this forum. I read several post about the dreaded door handles and door locks. But I cant find the answer to my problem.

This morning I went out to our 01 Explorer sport and tried to open the passenger side door. The outside broke in my hand. :( I knew that ford handles are back about braking so I wasnt too broken hearted over it. After climbing in and trying to open the door from the inside, I realized that the door WILL NOT OPEN. The lock REFUSES to unlock. So now I have a door that I cant open.

I realize that there are parts that now need to be replaced but how can I get the door panel off to replace them if I cant get the door open.

I tried the remote, the key in the door, pressing the unlock button 1000 times...nothing. Any idea how to get the door open without having to take it to the dealer and get my wallet cleaned out?

Thanks in advance

You will have to get the door panel off - harder but not impossible with door closed. Make sure the window is up. Slide seat all the way back; remove the screws for the armrest; use a trim tool or screwdriver to pop out the bottom and sides of panel; push up to unhook from window opening; unplug electricals to switches and door light.

Most common problem is broken spring in latch mechanism that "freezes" latch. Try spraying some WD-40 in there, then pulling/pushing on the various rods, etc. Eventually, something will give and latch will pop open. Replace the latch mechanism - look for threads on forum. Job is a true PITA due to access issues, and you have to reassemble in a certain order to get everything back in.

Recently replaced a Broken Door Handel on My 1999 for Explore Passenger side Now it will not open from out side It will open from inside only

LK24 has resurrected an old thread and is stating the door does open from the inside but not from the outside. Can we assume the lock solenoid is functioning correctly? My advice is to get the door panel off again and double-check your linkage connections.

Back