• Register Today It's free!

passive arming alarm.

biggie boy

Reaction score
City, State
riverside , ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 xlt
Anybody know how to disarm the passive arming feature on the alarm? I just bought the truck recently, and on the back of the fob it says "ford motor co." so i'm assuming it's a stock alarm. Anyway, i know absolutely nothing about alarms, so all i want to do is NOT have it "arm itself"! I'm usually up late at night, and my neighbors bedroom window is about 2 feet from my truck, and when i need to get something out of it, i have to disarm the alarm which makes the horn honk, and it disturbes her. I would rather configure it so i can just arm it manually. I know that there is an easy trick to this prob. I stuck my head up under the dash looking 4 a valet switch, but i was unable to locate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock alarm does not arm automatically. One push of the button locks the doors and the second push of the button arms the alarm. Just push it once. My alarm makes no noise when i disarm it. i have 2002 xls with factory system.

Mine also makes no noise when I unlock it. It will honk when I press the lock button twice.

trucku I have never heard anything about the second push arming the alarm. In fact, stock 3rd gen ex's dont have a real alarm, its just "passive anti-theft" which pretty much just means you need the key with the chip in it to start it. Don't you love how they put the blinky light on the dash as a deterrent? I'm pretty sure you get the same result pushing once or twice, its just the second push gives you the confirmation chirp of the horn so you know you are all locked. If a door is ajar or something it chirps at you twice.

Jason

JasonF said:
trucku I have never heard anything about the second push arming the alarm. In fact, stock 3rd gen ex's dont have a real alarm, its just "passive anti-theft" which pretty much just means you need the key with the chip in it to start it. Don't you love how they put the blinky light on the dash as a deterrent? I'm pretty sure you get the same result pushing once or twice, its just the second push gives you the confirmation chirp of the horn so you know you are all locked. If a door is ajar or something it chirps at you twice.

Jason

The truck does have a factory alarm (horn and lights) I set mine off once or twice :D

o.k everybody, thanks anyway. i bought the x used from a dealer, so obviously they installed the alarm as a selling feature.

most likely it's a ford alarm that was installed at the dealership. My Taurus has a ford alarm. The great thing about ford alarms, is they have a lifetime warranty for parts thru the dealer, so if anything on them ever breaks, all you have to do is pay the labor for replacement.

The factory alarm doesn't honk the horn durring the unlock function, only when locking.

I have an 02 and in my owner's guide on page 130-133 it explains how the factory alarm works.

just wanted to say thanks again everybody. the alarm is definately a ford alarm, but i'm assuming that my x did'nt come standard with it since all of you say your horns don't honk when disarming your alarms. mine= 1 honk when arming-2 honks when disarming. i have the l.e.d on the dash , and one under the dash below the steering wheel. i've heard that all x's came with an l.ed on the dash, but that does'nt necessarily mean that the truck even has an alarm. anyway, guess i'll have to pay an alarm guy $50 to flip a switch. thanks again everyone!

Back