PATS/Aftermarket alarm/remote start? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS/Aftermarket alarm/remote start?

Dwelves02XLT

Reaction score
City, State
NORCAL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Eddie Bauer 4WD
Need some feedback guys, have a 2005 EB, which I was changing the rotors and pads up front last weekend. Prior to that, the vehicle sat lifted on jack stands for a week with the doors locked and factory alarm on, wheels, calipers, rotors off. Normally I never disconnect the battery when performing such function, but this time, for some apparent reason, I did not unlock the doors to disable the alarm and during the process of changing the brakes and rotors, I accidentally bumped the knuckle with a spare rim, I had underneath for added protection. For some odd ball reason it caused the horn to go off. I panicked of course and grabbed key fob to stop it, which nothing happen, the thing is the horn wasnt consistent, but sparatic. Couldnt tell if the lights were flashing or not given it was 7 am in the morning and my first thought was to silence the damn thing so I wouldnt wake the neighbors.

I disconnected the battery of course which silenced it. Continue to proceed with changing of rotors and pads and when I did, went ahead and reconnected the battery. As soon as I did the horn continue to go off sparatic again. So I disconnected it, fast forward a few hours, I pull the horn relay fuse in the engine bay and reconnect battery. The thing now is, when I open the driver side door, I hear sparatic door chime sound along with a clicking sound coming from the dash. On top of that, the gauges are flickering as well with slight movement along with the stereo lights diming in and out. I try starting it, which the vehicle seems to be getting power, but is not turning over.

I disconnect the battery again and did further searching, this time underneath the dash, in which I came across this fisaco of wiring:

This is some audiovox which seems to be a bypass for a remote start
20150523_125359.jpg

This as well under the hood
20150523_125435.jpg

Is it safe to say that the remote start/aftermarket alarm is preventing the vehicle from starting and has malfunction in some sort of fashion?

***Also as of today, I had the current battery taken to Autozone which they charged and tested and was told was bad. So I purchased a new battery and still the same problem***

Also forget to mention, just purchased this EB last month and the only key I have is spare key that was made and not one of the originals. Also I posted earlier about my radio issue as well, so I dont know if this is also causing a problem with stereo not pushing sound to four speakers, and rear dvd player not working. The factory sub seems to be the only thing putting out sound.

that switch under the hood disables the remote start (prevent remote start from activating when vehicle is in service)
something must be draining your battery and it's normal for the alarm to go off when the battery is disconnected and reconnected when the doors are locked prior.
when servicing a car with a remote start, always lift up the hood.

I appreciate the response and feedback. Unfortunately I didn't even know this thing even had a remote start until the alarm went off. I f-Ed up by not opening the hood and deactivating the alarm. Looks like I will have to have it towed to the dealership to have the mad scientists fix it up.

Update

Well for anyone who ever encounters my situation, I was able to get two out of four issues resolved.

first able to get the vehicle to start which required a tow to the dealership and removal of this aftermarket alarm crap! Cost me $450 dollars in labor to remove this ****...

20150527_152024_1.jpg

during the process, the vehicle through a code, (throttle body sensor bad) so ordered a new one from Rockauto along with gasket.

Secondly, as for the sound system, the factory deck I purchased from a salvage yard though all plugs in the back were gray and matched, the deck itself was somehow bad. Purchased the right one this time and have sound coming from all four speakers plus subwoofer. Not much of an audio guy, but the factory audiophile sounds great for me.

Third, as for the DVD player, well I was hoping to score two wins with the new deck, but still no go with the DVD player. (This radio was pulled from an explorer with the rear entertainment system). So I pulled the RES down from the roof of the truck and dismantled it, the system was getting power (little green light on the power button was illuminated) but just wouldnt fire up.

Took it apart and came across this:
20150604_182241_1.jpg

The wrapping that went around the wires pretty much crumbled on their own. (You figure 10 year old truck, bound to happen).

further investigation into the circuit board and came across this:
20150604_182258_1.jpg

Went online to see if they sold it, NO GO! So the next best thing was to buy a complete new RES which I did from replacementradio.com for $149 shipped. Unfortunately they only sold it in gray, so once it arrives, I will just swap everything from it to my tan one. I am hoping this resolves the RES system.

Overall I bought this EX as a third hand vehicle, needless to say, its been a pain in the ass, but little by little I am getting things fixed and once completely restored to its factory spec, It will make for a great family ride.

Back