PATS/aftermarket alarm system question when installing new cd player - 00' xlt 4dr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PATS/aftermarket alarm system question when installing new cd player - 00' xlt 4dr

coolhandguenz61

Reaction score
City, State
northern california
Year, Model & Trim Level
00' Explorer XLT v6 OHV
Hello fellow explorers - I dont know if im being overly cautious with this but i dont want/cant afford to screw something up. Here it is:

I want to install just a new aftermarket HU nothing special on my used 00' explorer xlt. It was a GSA auction vehicle that was used by the government so I dont have any specifics on the aftermarket alarm system that came with it. My keyless entry on my keychain says "autopage" and I have Strattec keys. Also in the console just above the cupholders is a red button with a red light directly above it. I have never attempted to mess with that and my alarm system works fine, double chirp upon unlocking, single chirp upon locking. I need to know if disconnecting the battery and unhooking the factory HU and replacing it will cause the aftermarket alarm system and/or the PATS system to lock me out, disable my vehicle from starting, insert something bad here. I already have the appropriate ford wiring harness connected to my new HU all I have to do is take out the factory deck and swap it. Sorry for the long winded post and thank you in advance for any much appreciated input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you should be ok, and disconnecting the battery really isn't necessary.. if you're really concerned, just pull the fuse for the stereo system, install, then replace fuse.

Si

right on blueka im gonna give it a shot today thanks for your input :salute:

I never pull battery or fuses when I install radios, I guess I should. I always want to turn them on throughout the process to verify they work....Also, I can't imagine that your alarm will do all that if you remove the battery. What will happen when you need to replace it, or you leave your lights on. Whenever I drop my car for service, I always need to reset my clock because they disconnect the battery.

if its the factory ford radio there is NO need to disconnect the battery or pull fuses. just unplug the harness into the factory radio, make sure to get the correct metra harness, wire it up to the new radio and plug it all in.

if the battery is disconnected PATS will not "forget" anything.

The only thing that may happen, is when you hook the battery back up, the alarm will go off. simple just hit the unlock button to disarm it.

Back