• Register Today It's free!

PATS disable

srtfanatic

Reaction score
City, State
NW Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Will a ECM from a 1997 5.0 Explorer directly work in a 1999 5.0 Explorer so I can disable PATS? Is it as simple as swapping ECMs?

Im using the explorer frame/engine/trans for a build and don't want to mess with the security crap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy a tuner and have a custom tune written that disables the PATS system,

Buy a tuner and have a custom tune written that disables the PATS system,

What tuners are out there for the older explorers? I looked but am not sure what one will work??? Any advise?

Go to SCT’s page.

sctflash.com

No your 97 PCM will not work in the 99
It may run but you will get codes
The MAS, the Cam sensor, the transmission DTRS and the instrument cluster have some changes to them from 97-99, some wiring changed locations in the C115 42 pin plug
These can be overcome if you still wish to use the 97 PCM
A tune might be the easier way to go or fix your current PATS?

Just got a quote for a new sct unit and pats removal tune from https://www.mosspeedshop.com/ for 505. Also gives you the opportunity to upgrade the shift points, od engagement speed and maybe get a little more power out of the motor.

I have not had an explorer tune from him but used him in the past for my p71 and was very happy.

Just got a quote for a new sct unit and pats removal tune from https://www.mosspeedshop.com/ for 505. Also gives you the opportunity to upgrade the shift points, od engagement speed and maybe get a little more power out of the motor.

I have not had an explorer tune from him but used him in the past for my p71 and was very happy.

there is a seller on ebay who disables pats for around 140 shipped, if thats your only concern. 505 seems steep, i had my computer tuned in the firebird for my new torque converter and a few other mods i had done at the time, plus disabling the passkey, emissions codes, stuff like that. the emissions codes and stuff like that were free and then it was only 150 for the cam/torque converter/transmission adjustments. i swear ford tuners are engaged in some price fixing or something.

No your 97 PCM will not work in the 99
It may run but you will get codes
The MAS, the Cam sensor, the transmission DTRS and the instrument cluster have some changes to them from 97-99, some wiring changed locations in the C115 42 pin plug
These can be overcome if you still wish to use the 97 PCM
A tune might be the easier way to go or fix your current PATS?
What pins need to be changed on the 42 pin plug. I have a 2000 explorer that I am putting a 97 v8 and pcm in from.

Is the 2000 currently a v6?
I would get the wiring info for the 97 and 2000 in front of you
I buy the books on ebay

I need More information about your project so I can help you, perhaps start a new thread

“ What pins need to move” is very vague
2000 model uses returnless fuel 97 is return that is the first hurdle to overcome

Back