Solved - PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved PATS key sucsess! Thanks Forscan

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I just wanted to shout out to Forscan for allowing me to use their upgraded software for programming 3 PAT keys. This saved me from going to the dealership and spending $400.00. I purchased an OBDLink SX for 18.00 on Amazon using a discount coupon. The module connected to my 03 Explorer instantly without any problems using the windows version software provided by Forscan. Their basic software will not work so you have to email them asking for an upgrade software key.

I followed the instructions and process provided on their website and programmed 3 keys within 15 minutes. The instructions are so easy that a monkey could be trained to do this process.

Hope this information is helpful and remember to never leave your spare key with your ex-wife. LOL

Peace,
bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good post, I have and really like ForScan. Any additional information would be great.

Why'd you go with the OBDLink SX over an ELM327 unit?

And where can one pick up said coupon. I only got one key when I purchased my '04.

Number 4,

I originally bought one of those elm327 from ebay. The buyer advertised that he or she was from New Jersey and shipped it out to me within 2 days. I plugged it into Forscan and it was recognized, but would not communicate with my explorer. I contacted the Forscan team and sent them a copy of my log file. The log was diagnosed and it was determined that my elm327 was a knock off from China. The seller lied and was not from the United States but from China. This was confirmed when I checked the tracking delivery schedule.I guess this is a scheme that is being used now, so others beware of these tactics. Some knock off elm327 will work on Fords, but it must have the right chip. I opened my elm327 and it did not have the correct chip.

The Forscan team emailed me back and suggested that I use the OBD2 devices that were tested and posted on their website. There are many different ones that are bluetooth, and they are less then 10 dollars, but I choose the OBDlink-Sx because it was a direct connect to the USB and PCM. I just did not trust using a bluetooth when messing with the security system. I felt that the PCM could possibly corrupt if the bluetooth lost connection during the programming phase. This could lead to more serious issues causing a trip to the dealership, and being charged tons of money.

I purchased the OBDlink device from Amazon and used my discover card. Discover gave me a coupon, and I joined the free 30 day trial Amazon Prime membership to get the 2 day shipping. The total cost with tax was $18.07 and it was delivered right on schedule.

I lost 2 keys in 2005 and I had to have my explorer reprogrammed by the dealer costing me around 400.00. Recently, I gave my daughter one of the newer programmed keys so she could use the explorer. She ended up losing it and now I was stuck with one key. As I was searching inside of my explorer looking for the lost key, I ended up finding the original keys that were lost many years ago, buried way down inside of the front passenger seat. The keys would not work in the ignition because of being deprogrammed, and I did not have 2 working master keys to program the found original keys. The dealer and a local locksmith wanted 300.00 to reprogram which lead me to research the internet locating the forscan software.

I used the Forscan software and it was simple to program all of the keys. It took less then 15 minutes to complete the process. I now have 3 working keys, and I just ordered 2 new remote key fobs from ebay for less then 10 dollars. The entire cost borne was 28.00. Forscan saved me about 300.00 and I now I have a secure truck again. Just remember that the you must contact forscan and request the updated PAT software because the basic program will not work.

Good luck,
bizzs

Thanks [MENTION=144559]bizzs[/MENTION].
[MENTION=260027]lincolnshibuya[/MENTION], I believe '02 was the only year you could program with one or two keys. No dice '03+.

I only have one key in my case.

OBD link are excellent interface devices, made with high quality Texas instruments chips, and a fast refresh rate. Elm327 are hit & miss. YMMV

Nice tip, but am skeptical of asking for the upgraded hardware key?
I mean, why would they give you something they sell?

I saw the upgrade was $39, if it is the correct one.
But that still brings you in at less then $100. I also have a 1998 sport, 4.0 with only 1 key.
Making spare keys is worth the price of admission alone.

My owners manul states that I can make my own, if I have 2 working keys to use to program the 3rd key.

Nice tip, but am skeptical of asking for the upgraded hardware key?
I mean, why would they give you something they sell?

I saw the upgrade was $39, if it is the correct one.
But that still brings you in at less then $100. I also have a 1998 sport, 4.0 with only 1 key.
Making spare keys is worth the price of admission alone.

My owners manul states that I can make my own, if I have 2 working keys to use to program the 3rd key.

The windows version is free and that is what I used for this adapter that I purchased.

FORScan saved my bacon and $$$

Yep, FORscan saved my bacon too!! 2008 sport trac, after a Instrument Cluster upgrade, stupid PATS stopped me in my tracks. A little time on the computer, a USB ELM327 v1.5 adapter and with FORscans help, all is well.

Do not use any adapter that is not version 1.5. Don't get a WIFI as they are problematic and always look for help when needed.

I have been there, don't that with PATS so feel free to ask.

I tried programming a key on my 05 because I only have I. I used Forscan and the extended license. I could not get it to work . It said it was successful but the key did not start the ex. Then I read that you have to erase all the old keys and start from scratch. I was afraid to do that because if something goes wrong you are dead in the water.
Anybody do things any different?
Bob T
:usa:

rwt101,

That is the gamble you take when using freeware. I read many post on forscan's website and a lot of members stated to erase all of the old keys first before reprogramming.

I took the risk and was successful at programming all keys. The dealers want too much money, and I was lied to by my local dealer on how the PATS security system worked.

For example, many years ago my local dealer told me that I would have to buy 2 new keys from them ($400.00) and discard my old keys because of a breach in security of the truck. (ex-wife) I paid the money and kept the old keys.

Recently, my daughter lost one of the newer keys and I only had one left. After researching Forscan, I took the risk and erased the only key I had and reprogrammed the old discarded keys, and the remaining key with success. This process was fast and kind of nifty to watch.

I would make sure that you use a recommended obd2 that works with Forscan's software, not a knock off one. It was well worth the 18.00 investment.

Happy Holidays,
bizzs

Thanks. I might give it a try.
Bob T

Well I should not have fooled with it, it didn't work and now I can't start it. SO I suppose it will just sit there. I don't have money to go to the dealer.
Bob T

Sorry to hear the bad news. What was the error codes that the software gave you? Email the error log to the Forscan team and explain what happened during the programming process. Someone will get back to you usually within 24 hours with a solution.

As I stated in my previous posts that those knock off elm327 do NOT play well with this software. The team reviewed my error log and diagnosed immediately that I had a Chinese knock off elm327 which was causing my problem.

The OBDLink SX was recommended by Forscan and I purchased one from Amazon. (refer to my other posts) It worked perfect for me.

It may be in your best interest to purchase a OBDLink SX to save you the 100 towing bill and the 300 dealer programming fee. Just my two cents.

Good luck
Bizzs

I have a wired link to the laptop.
I sent them what I think were the logs.
Like I said it will sit because I don't have that kind of money.
Bob T

I really have never ever had this much trouble with a car. :thumbdwn:

I agree!! (lol) There are plenty of issues on this forum that people post, but I learn so much from reading the solutions. Believe it or not, my Explorer is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It seems that we all develop the same problems around the same mileage times, especially the transmission servos and packs.

Hope things work out for you!!

Merry Xmas,
bizzs

Ya, I recently used it to remove a 3rd key that was not given to me with the vehicle.

I have this unit: ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX USB - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4

(OK) [10:08:29.218] PATS programming has been started
(OK) [10:08:29.529] Number of keys stored: 3
(OK) [10:08:29.530] Spare keys programmable: Enabled
(OK) [10:10:23.682] Gain Security Access...
(OK) [10:10:44.199] This procedure will take approximately 12 minutes to complete
(OK) [10:20:44.947] Security access granted
(OK) [10:21:34.144] All known keys have been erased
(OK) [10:21:38.347] Number of keys stored: 0
(OK) [10:21:38.347] Spare keys programmable: Enabled
(OK) [10:22:23.871] PATS key programmed successfully
(OK) [10:22:40.555] Number of keys stored: 1
(OK) [10:22:40.557] Spare keys programmable: Enabled
(OK) [10:23:10.603] PATS key programmed successfully
(OK) [10:23:20.805] Number of keys stored: 2
(OK) [10:23:20.805] Spare keys programmable: Enabled
(OK) [10:24:15.493] Please wait...6 seconds
(OK) [10:24:21.524] Service procedure completed successfully.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I tried programming a key on my 05 because I only have I. I used Forscan and the extended license. I could not get it to work . It said it was successful but the key did not start the ex. Then I read that you have to erase all the old keys and start from scratch. I was afraid to do that because if something goes wrong you are dead in the water.
Anybody do things any different?
Bob T

Even if you have successfully programmed one key there must be at least two keys programmed to it for it to start.

Back