Pats problem. Help with code.

Greg02limited

Reaction score
City, State
Patchogue NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Hi all.

So here's my story. I fixed some electrical issues and when I was putting the lower shroud around the steering column, it's slipped quickly over the tilt wheel lever and I smashed a green plug that goes into the black box surrounding the lock cylinder. I've learned that this is the Pats transceiver. My vehicle was running at the time and when I shut it off it went into theft mode. I massaged the plug back together but it will not run. The theft code flashes rapidly then stops then it does one long, pause, one long a total of 10 times. I don't understand how to diagnose what that code means. I see up to 1:6 listed but I don't know what that means either. I've been reading for days and I'm not sure I'm finding my solution. I also only have one factory key. I attached a picture of the plug I'm talking about. You guys have helped me once before and I'm hoping you can help me again. Thanks!

20180514_143359.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I understand, it seems you may need to replace whatever parts are damaged, and then have a dealership reprogram the PATS to function correctly. There may be a way using forscan to do it yourself, but I never tried it. All PATS components need to be from the same vehicle or programmed to think they are or they will lock the vehicle out in most cases

@Greg02limited If the damaged part is the plug ON THE HARNESS which connects to the Transceiver, it may be replaced by splicing in another, even a used one. If the connector on the transceiver is broken, replace the transceiver. I replaced mine with no problems, key works normally with the new one, no messy programming was needed. imp

Plug on the harness was broken, transceiver is fine. I'll try replacing the plug and see if that is the problem. Thank you

Hi again. I replaced the plug to the transceiver, no luck. Same rapid flashing, then a long, pause, long. Repeated 10 times. I tired to attach a video but couldn't. It was a minute long but just does the same thing. Long, pause, long 10 times. I cannot see a code that matches to this. Unfortunately I don't have to money for a dealer. If anyone recognizes this code or any other advice, please help. I only have one key too. I have a feeling it's new keys, transceiver and programming but hoping not. Thank you all, Greg.

Back