Reaction score
City, State
Uxbridge Ontario Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 3.5
1998 5.0L V8 XLT
:ca:
Hi,

Just got our '98 XLT, with only one key, and then found out about the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft / SecuriLock System ) key thing. Don't really want to pay the dealer 120 bux plus to do up 2 additional keys, so I have been reading on the Inet about PATS.

Found this at: www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

On-Board Programming Method "B"
for Ford keys (1996 -early 1998 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)

If you want to initiate a new master key....
1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.

2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.
The owners manual I have makes no mention of this proceedure and says with less than two working keys programming additional ones cannot be done except by a dealer with special equipment. Can anyone confirm that the above proceedure will actually work and WILL NOT leave me stranded with a car that no longer recognizes its own key?

The other cheat I have been considering, is to put the good PATS key somewhere hidden from view inside the car, where the computer can sense its presence. Then I would get a few conventional keys made for family members to use instead, to operate the mechanics of the ignition switch.

Does the car really know or care if the PATS key is actually in the ignition or is it happy just to have it somewhere within communications distance?

Advice & experiences welcome, thanks,

Brian H.
Uxbridge Ont

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know that procedure will not work on a '98 (although I have never tried it).

The tone ring for the PATS key is actually a ring around the ignition switch. Outside that ring, it won't pick it up. It may be possible to install a bypass many shops commonly use for remote start systems, but for less than half the price, you could have the dealer program them in for you. If you have the keys cut at a locksmith and take them to the dealer, they shouldn't charge more than 1/2 hr to reprogram them.

-Joe

The procedure you've posted is to clear all keys out of the module, and then reprogram them in. And it probably won't work on your PATS II equiped 98. Even worse would be that you erase all the keys and can't program a new key, which I've heard happening.

A few here have had luck following the manual on how to program a third key in, and placing the one working key in twice, in place of the second key.

There are a few other options if doing it yourself doesn't work.
Many locksmitshs these days have the programmer that plugs into the OBD port and talks with the PATS module and they may be albe to program a second key in cheaper than the dealer can.

Don't pay anyone to program a third (or fourth) key in. . you can do that yourself, following the manuals instructions. Just pay the $15-25 for the PATS key and getting it cut.

PATS keys are less than $10 on Ebay. I have a remote starter bypass module that I don't think I'll be using. It functions by having a good PATS key inside of it. It only bypasses the PATS system while the remote starter is operating. I doubt it could be used full time, but it only costs about $20.

I also need a second key programmed for my 99. I am installing a remote starter, and need to find out how to disable the factory alarm at all times.
Don

If I ever get a remote start, it won't, under any circumstances, bypass the one security system that actually works. The CodeAlarm or Ford Accessories alarms and remote start systems interface with the PATS instead of bypassing it. They're tougher to install, but work much better IMHO.

-Joe

testing to see if it works

I have not yet figured out if that process works. I had one key for my explorer, which was broken the other day by one of my idiot friends. The chip was broken out of it and not found. So i bought a new key since i live 90 miles from any dealer and my car will not start. I just recieved it this evening and could not get to a store to get the new key cut. So i tried to have the new key as close to ignition as possible while i had the old key (missing the chip) in the ignition... I did the 45 minute process the way that website said and it did not work. I am going to cut the key tomorrow and try again (it is my only option as i know of, besides getting my car towed to a dealer). I have a 98 4 door explorer. If you find a way to make this work let me know.

I had only one key when I got my truck, but I had ford make another key about a year ago for about 20 bucks. That's it. I do have a non pats key that I keep on a different set of keys. This is only to get in the truck if I lock my keys in. It does not work in the igniton, not starting anyway. Even with the pats key next to it. It still will not start. The pats key must be in the ignition.

It just dawned on me that I only have the one PATS key and might want a second in case of who knows what. I called the local Ford dealer and here's what they said when I asked about the price to provide a second key:
FOR 1 PATS KEY AND PROGRAMMING, YOU ARE LOOKING AT ABOUT $140.00. YOU CAN BRING YOUR TRUCK IN AND HAVE THAT DONE DURNG THE WEEK ANYTIME BEFORE 3:00 P.M. IT TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF.

So then I asked about having a locksmith provide the key and how much just to program the transponder:
THE LOCKSMITH CAN ONLY PROVIDE A KEY TO OPEN THE DOOR. HE CANNOT PROVIDE A PROGRAMMABLE PATS KEY.

They're full of it. The dealership should be charging you no more than 1/2 hour labor, plus the cost of the key and the cut. My dealership only charged me $75 to do it, and they provided the two extra keys.

Many local locksmiths can do it as well. The better shops will have the hardware to connect to the PATS and program them. All the local shops in my area wanted an hour's labor plus the cost of the keys. The dealership turned out to be cheaper.

-Joe

ya i was told the dealer charges you alot less if you just buy a blank pats key on ebay as such and have it cut some were for like a buck then take it to ford and they will program the chip at least i hope so cuz i got a blank today int eh mail lol

Oh
I only have one key--just another thing to take care of.

I wonder if ( using the 3rd key prog method) the one key-taken out and flipped over-then reinstalled as 2nd key would work??? The worst case scenario is a blank key, correct?
My existing key will still work?

Oh
I only have one key--just another thing to take care of.

I wonder if ( using the 3rd key prog method) the one key-taken out and flipped over-then reinstalled as 2nd key would work??? The worst case scenario is a blank key, correct?
My existing key will still work?

That won't work. The keys are coded, and it will know you're using the same key.

My buddies Explorer only came with one PATS key, so he bought an additional PATS key off ebay for about $10 and the dealer programmed it for $25.

2004 Sport Trac: I have one key with a little square remote to unlock doors. I wonder just how do I know if I have a Pat key? It appears to be a plain key with the word 'Ford' on it. It also has an "S" on the metal shaft. I do need an additional key just in case I lose or break this one and I am tempted to order 2 keys plus 2 more remotes from Ebay for about $25. But, in the Ford owners manual, it says specifically to only use Securilock keys. I do not want to have to tow this truck 25 miles to a dealer just because I did not heed this warning. But, on the other hand, if I can program two extra keys plus remotes my self, than that is what I want to do. Do any of you have any experience with programming your own generic keys? I do appreciate any and all comments. Thanks..Ron

I stumbled over a local ACE Hardware's advertisement a few months ago and they offered to clone my PATS key for $75.
From what I understand so far, it would be a fully functioning clone including the chip and would be read and accepted as the same key used to make the clone, but could not function as a "second key" required to program more keys into the car via the instructions of the manual.
But it should start the car and let me drive it.

As I said, I wanted to check for other options first, before I get my key cloned so I haven't tried it.
But having PATS keys cloned obviously seems to be another option.

testing to see if it works

I have not yet figured out if that process works. I had one key for my explorer, which was broken the other day by one of my idiot friends. The chip was broken out of it and not found. So i bought a new key since i live 90 miles from any dealer and my car will not start. I just recieved it this evening and could not get to a store to get the new key cut. So i tried to have the new key as close to ignition as possible while i had the old key (missing the chip) in the ignition... I did the 45 minute process the way that website said and it did not work. I am going to cut the key tomorrow and try again (it is my only option as i know of, besides getting my car towed to a dealer). I have a 98 4 door explorer. If you find a way to make this work let me know.

I'm not sure and might be wrong, but I'd expect that a good Ford dealer should be able to make a new OEM key without having your car towed onto their lot.

There are also people here in this forum who know a lot about programming PATS keys with a laptop, an app like Forscan or so (not sure if I remember that right and the Forscan app can really do that) and a compatible OBD2 dongle to plug into the car. But from all I understand that might work. (Use the search function in the forum you'll find threads with more info on that.)

You could also ask a good locksmith in your area if they can do that it for you and come by to program your new cut key with the new chip into your car to get it running again. However much that may cost, I have no idea.
I assume none of the possible solutions besides the DIY one (which other people here should be able to tell you if that's really doable) are really "cheap" solutions.

2004 Sport Trac: I have one key with a little square remote to unlock doors. I wonder just how do I know if I have a Pat key? It appears to be a plain key with the word 'Ford' on it. It also has an "S" on the metal shaft. I do need an additional key just in case I lose or break this one and I am tempted to order 2 keys plus 2 more remotes from Ebay for about $25. But, in the Ford owners manual, it says specifically to only use Securilock keys. I do not want to have to tow this truck 25 miles to a dealer just because I did not heed this warning. But, on the other hand, if I can program two extra keys plus remotes my self, than that is what I want to do. Do any of you have any experience with programming your own generic keys? I do appreciate any and all comments. Thanks..Ron

If it can start the car it's a pats key. My only key I have to drive the car looks just like you describe and also has an S engraved on the shaft. I assume the S might stand for "Securilock"?

If it can start the car it's a pats key. My only key I have to drive the car looks just like you describe and also has an S engraved on the shaft. I assume the S might stand for "Securilock"?
I’m pretty sure my other Mounty keys were branded ‘M’ and ‘S’ which I assume stands for master and slave.

It is ForScan that can assist in key programming.

I stumbled over a local ACE Hardware's advertisement a few months ago and they offered to clone my PATS key for $75.
From what I understand so far, it would be a fully functioning clone including the chip and would be read and accepted as the same key used to make the clone, but could not function as a "second key" required to program more keys into the car via the instructions of the manual.
But it should start the car and let me drive it.

As I said, I wanted to check for other options first, before I get my key cloned so I haven't tried it.
But having PATS keys cloned obviously seems to be another option.
I called the local Ace Hardware, and he said they do not do that. So, it may be a local thing to your area. But, thanks for all the information. I have called my grandson-in-law who works for the local Ford dealership to see what he can do. He has not returned my call yet. But, here's hoping..

The cheapest option is buying the appropriate Strattec key online ($10 or so), and taking it to a locksmith to have it cut to match your current key. Then you can use Forscan to store it and your current key as two valid (and independent) keys for your car. Total investment is less than $50 including a good quality OBD2 adapter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I used I have only one key
https://www.amazon.com/BANVIE-Unive...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BMPTV2NRVS7KFBDD6DMM
I did not use the power and ground wires not needed
Just used the signal wires

The way this works is induction
Coil around key ...ford chip...
Coil around transceiver...ring around ignition....
At least 5 wraps on each end
That's around the transceiver not in front or behind
around the key not in front or behind .Around
Put key under dash
It's basically a antenna
This method was be for bypass modules were mainstream
The only reason I bought the module is the box
Try it I'm sure someone will try to prove me wrong
Remember 5wraps around ing ring 5 wraps around top of key in a loop with 16 to 24 gage copper wire

You can use this method
It's the same as most bypass modules

Here is a diagram

20180724_055414.jpg

Back