Pats | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pats

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, but it is on my list as soon as my PATS vacation is over.

I thought I had the Bertone running this afternoon, close, no cigar. Did get one wheel painted.

I assume that it is going to be a very low voltage pulse, perhaps not visible on a free Harbor Freight VOM.

Bertone

. . .
I thought I had the Bertone running this afternoon, close, no cigar. Did get one wheel painted. . .

Years ago the Bertone was one of my most desired vehicles. There was an independent tire store near my current home that recently moved. They had a Bertone and a Rolls that they worked on when business was slow. I thought several times about asking if the Bertone was for sale. I think they got it running but not the Rolls. Do you have a 262C or a 780?

Since the engine is not going to really start I guess that I should assume that the CPS voltage is going to be at the very low end of the numbers mentioned.

Recently I made a real barn find in the '81 262C Bertone. This car had actually spent 19 years in a real hay barn. I visited the the barn. An elderly gentleman, now 83 had stored his wife's car after she died after a long illness. He couldn't stand to drive it or part with it. This car has 25,178 actual miles on the odometer. The tires have almost no wear but were manufactured in '86. The paint needs redone but the interior is as new.

I am going to get it restored to fully functional and appearance then have to make a decision as to which I sell, the '81 Bertone with 25,178 miles or the '82 245/302 with 11k miles. Absolutely no rust or sheet metal repairs on either one.

P4130881.jpg

P4130882.jpg

P4130884.jpg

CIMG0770.jpg

CIMG0772.jpg

P3170829.jpg

blind spots

That's an incredible find! One reason I never bought one is the large rear panel blind spot. It's the same reason I ruled out the Pacifica when looking for a new 4 door SUV. I've owned a 544, 142, DL, GL and 740 besides the 850 turbo wagon I currently have.

Those are great, keep them going.

What blind spot though, it's all windows?

They look great to drive, I'm used to driving a big white box with no rear or side windows.;)

I grew up driving a 72 Gran Torino, big Ford cars with big blind spots.:salute:

780 drive train?

I might be interested in getting a 780 coupe if it's not as low as my 850 wagon. In my opinion it was underpowered with the 2.8L V6 and turbo 4 cylinder but supposedly handled very well. I'm also concerned about maintaining the ride leveling system. I wonder what would be a good drivetrain replacement.

The GM LSx series of engines/transmission seem to be the most popular at the moment. There was a 10 year period that GM did not use V8's in other than their trucks. The Mustang with lots of manual transmissions available had been very competitive in that period.

When all the smoke cleared, after months of research, my choice was based on the best deal I could find not on a a target objective.

Do as I say, not as I did and focus on an aluminum block and heads. GM, Ford, or Nissan really does not matter . . . except that you will get a lot more forum assistance if you stick to GM/Ford.

The 302 is the smallest V8 of the best choices, so it's a natural for most swaps.

It's these little bugs to work out with any swap that are the tough part. Hopefully this Volvo will be running great very soon. You will like that engine in that car.

If your after a MTM. I think life would be easier when doing the SBF swap.
My wife wants an ATM. Can't blame her traffic sucks.
I think I'd be done if I went Mustang 5.0 AOD I hope the Explorer set up will be worth the wait.
I only know of one running Explorer/Volvo swap (running factory style set up)
Looking back I'd consider a 3.5 60* V6 and 200R4.
Not sure the differences between the 7 series and the 2 series.
Get yourself the JTR book for your car of choice, Its heavily geared toward SBC but still full of good info.
And read Toms post. Very detailed.
Good luck to you

It's ALIVE ! ! !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPmVhyHBRAM

After nearly 4 years of hobby work on the '00 5.0L into an '82 Volvo 245 it started this afternoon, just like I had parked it only yesterday instead of 18 years ago. After a long string of issues to resolve, including a huge learning curve on PATS, as always, it was the last thing I tried, the injectors.

Now all I have to do is the dozen of so things I have been putting off like ATF, coolant, PS fluid, putting the dash back together, permanently mounting the wiring harness and PCM and a few more.

Ahh, I was hoping that would be a video of you revving the engine or going on a test drive. Great to hear though. Congrats on everything working now.

Ahh, I was hoping that would be a video of you revving the engine or going on a test drive. Great to hear though. Congrats on everything working now.

LOL that's what I mentioned on an e-mail to TP. In time I suspect.
WAY TO GO Tom!

ps I enjoyed the video's even w/o a running 5.0.

So, what did you need to do to get the injector pulses working? Was it pats issuee? And if so, how did you get around it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had clearly identified that I was not getting a ground from the PCM on either of the two injectors that I could access under the intake manifold. There was B+ on the red lead to each just not the operating ground. That is exactly what PATS does to disable the vehicle in this series. In other applications it can disable the fuel pump and/or the ignition.

After a month of trying to upload a custom tune to the PCM to disable PATS without success I finally tripped to the fact that the Data Port connector was loosing connection during the upload process. The SCT 3015 did not identify a problem, just never completed the upload. Trying to read DTCodes with my reader finally demonstrated the loss of connection.

Bottom line - for the '98 - '01 Explorer a software turn off of PATS is apparently the only solution. While I am sure that a Ford dealer WDS is fully capable of doing that there is not any documentation nor any tech, that I found, that knew how to do it. Ford, obviously, did not intend that anyone in their organization disable their precious PATS. That only leaves a custom tune as a method of doing an engine swap on these engines. To the tuners it is simply a software switch to turn on or off.

Once I finally got the PATS software switch turned off and was getting a pulsing ground from the PCM I was still not getting injector operation. Then I used a straight pin through the wire insulation at an injector to manually apply a hard ground to the PCM side of an injector. I could not detect an operating click by feel or sound. They had to be gummed up from evaporated gas. Professional, out of the car cleaning solved that problem.

. . . and its now ALIVE!

Back