• Register Today It's free!

Pats

Shawnedge

Reaction score
City, State
Cyril okla
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ford ranger edge
So bought 01 ranger edge. It was in the middle of engine swap when i picked it up. Got the 3.0 all buttoned up, the guy had a brand new key cut because he had lost the original. Everything lights up but the theft light blinks quickly. And their is no response when you engage the ignition to start. Was wondering is there a way to relearn the pats to the new key. With out having to take it to dealer?

so your new 3.0L engine is still using the old 01 computer, key and wiring correct?
You can get a new key made at the Ford dealer with the trucks VIN

You can also use FORSCAN software (free) to pair the computer to the key using an OBD2 adapter for your computer. That said, you'll need two. The system (dealer included, to my knowledge) will require two valid PATS keys to program. You can grab a second fairly cheap - $10 or so on eBay for a Strattec of the right type. Take that to a local locksmith to get it cut to match the one you already have. A lot of them won't touch cutting an anti-theft key, but call around and you'll find somebody that will. It was about $2 locally to have mine done once I found somebody willing to do the job.

Back