Paul's 2011 Ranger FX4 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paul's 2011 Ranger FX4

Here you go:
Slider-Passenger (JUL 20).jpg

Notched the pinch-welds to get the "Non White Castle" sliders (Rick!) snugged up underneath the rockers (not to be confused with the "Spinal Tap 'rockers'") . . .
Slider-Notch (JUL 20).jpg

No. . .
1594696785946.png

Quality product from Rocky Road Outfitters, straight-forward installation and beefy enough for the type of wheeling this rig is getting set up for (Overlanding). . . The company makes more aggressive styles with outriggers for pivoting off trees and rocks if anyone out there is interested.

Slider-passenger Full (JUL 20).jpg

About 1/2" between rocker and slider.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks nice and clean:chug:

Laid up for a few days, so posting the latest upgrades on the Ranger.

The truck is in overall great condition, sure it's got several scuffs on the fender flares, and I think the P.O. might have towed it behind a motorhome as the front bumper, grill, sideview mirrors and windshield all look lightly sandblasted. Additionally, the bug deflector appears to have been epoxied on, so when it broke off there was residue I could not fully remove. . .

So . . . Monsta-Liner ! !

I've used the product before in black for the Sport and some motorcycle stuff and recently helped Diff Whack (Kevin) with a project using "Read My Lips" red. So decided to go red-on-red for the Ranger and the plan was to coat the following:
1. Hood "lip"
2. Grill
3. Bumpers
4. Fender Flares
5. Rock Sliders
6. Headlight "surrounds" (trim piece under each headlight)

Monsta-Liner has a pretty short working life once mixed, so I wanted to use as much of the product as possible, since it's not cheap. . . so that led to some interesting choices after coating the primary items.

Like any painting project, it's all about the prep. . . and tear down. . .
Monsta-Prep.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Wheels off to get the product into the inner lip of the fender flares.

Paint station:
Monsta-Accessories (JUL 20).jpg

Bumper Station:
Monsta-Bumpers (JUL 20).jpg

Fender flare prep:
Monsta-Fender.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Paul

oh my! Okay, that's it.......... I'm coming over you cant have a ML party without me! I miss the smell!!!!
the red looks sooooooo gooooooood
Im getting ready to do my whole F350 cab in white and I need to redo my whole BII now that the bodywork, fiberglass,rust repair is completed
Don't get any on those tires or your "Hootus!!" (whole other famous Explorerforum thread)

Used a "real" respirator this time, dual cartridge - - none of that N95 particulate only stuff. . . Wasn't sure how the red-on-red would look, knew I could always rattle can black if needed, but in the end, really like the way it turned out.

So, instead of just coating the hood "lip" to cover the epoxy issues, added a layer to the concave section on the centerline:
Monsta-Hood Lip (JUL 20).jpg

Didn't want to coat the rockers all the way up to the hard curve, so settled about 3-4" above the bottom of the rocker :
Monsta-Fender.2 (JUL 20).jpg

Coated inside the door jambs:
Monsta-Jamb.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Sideview mirrors needed a coating:
Monsta-Sideview.2 (JUL 20).jpg

Added a bit to the "chromey" part of the Ranger emblem on both front fenders:
Monsta-Emblem.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Paul

Paul, did you roll or spray the product on?

Paul, did you roll or spray the product on?
The product can be sprayed on, but not by me - - I'm a roller guy. . . The particulate is smaller than the Herculiner product, and the nap on the roller is pretty large - - pretty easy to apply, but best to have a good plan and work quick, especially when it's warm.

Few more pictures of reassembly:
Monsta-Grill.1 (JUL 20).jpg

So, as mentioned, wanted to use all the product - - so what's a guy to do. . . . ?

Skid Plates! :
Montsta-Torsion Cover - XFer Plate.1 (JUL 20).jpg

Monsta-Hooks - Skid (JUL 20).jpg

. . . and tow hooks, and license plate frame, and rim hub covers. . .
Monsta-Hubs (JUL 20).jpg

. . . and then had to take the rig out to the woods to justify all the effort.
Rainier Passenger.2 (JUL 20).jpg

Happy Trails,

Paul

wicked good show, the red matches almost perfect!
The mosntaliner rollers are awesome, but when the stuff starts to harden you better be quick, the rollers will start to come apart and leave bits in the monstaliner
Luckily he provides a few rollers and you can get similar at the depot.
To spray monstaliner you would need to thin it waaay down....so much easier just to roll it on
My wifes FJ the liner is now about 7 years old....holding up perfectly well! it is all about the prep
You cannot compare this stuff to Herculiner, or "hurt you liner" the herculiner has bits of rubber in it and no UV protection so it fades quickly and is rough enough to rip skin....monstaliner is much much more friendly with its egg shell finish

Our high mountain snow is almost gone now, just a little bit left up there :) Pretty good for the end of July!

Liner came out awesome!!

Oh, by the way, decided to leave the rock sliders black as purchased - - just seemed to tie in the other black components (wheels, side view mirrors, door trim, flag decal, etc.), and just in case the sliders actually get "used", they'll be easier to refresh.
Lonesome-Passenger (JUL 20).jpg
''

Finally got around to swapping that crappy OEM thermostat housing that sweated fluid like a fat guy stuck on a steel roof for an aftermarket body from Simmons Autosportz (no affiliation other than a satisfied customer) . . .

Before:
Thermo 2011 Ranger .jpg

After:
Thermo Done (AUG 20).jpg

Much better. . .

Paul

Usually have to climb elevation to get into snow here in most low-lying areas of the PNW. . .

Not today ! ! !
Teresa Snow (FEB 21).jpg

About 10" in Tacoma so checked out the Ranger's snow prowess on some unplowed streets. Just 4x4 High with the FX4 LS and Cepek Fun Country tires - - also has a pair of 80lb. dumbbells in the bed with recovery gear. Performed like a champion.

Driver Rear.2 (FEB 21).jpg

Have some more projects planned for the Ranger, but most time and effort of late dedicated to the "Sport". . . Still want to add the heated Corbeaus to this rig, and bought some LEDs to run in the bed for nighttime illumination.

Happy Trails,

Paul

gotta love the DC tires.
Just put another set of the DC Extreme country on the wifes FJ cruiser......... 315/17 I have been so happy with the wear and tear on the DC EC tires we went for another set....they wear like iron for a mud tire!!! 35's on the FJ, 37's on the Excursion
Finally getting some snow here too.... my fav sport :)

Had a buddy figure out a way to turn off the Daytime Running Lights in the Ranger. . . Minor modification, but as "Control Enthusiast", I'll be the decider when the damn lights come on, no offense to our neighbors to the North.
Ranger Front (APR 22).jpg

You'll have to trust me that the engine is on . . .

Paul

I hate drl!!!
My parents, dad is now 80, (he is a great driver) but they are
Always getting new cars and the newer cars with the day time running lights confuses our old people… they think their headlights are on and they just start driving not realizing there are no dash lights or tail lights… I have watched my parents drive away more then once like this trying to yell at them to turn the lights on… dad got pulled over one night, office just gave him a warning. Still I hate drl.
My wife’s FJ cruise had drl! Luckily for me Toyota made a simple plug you remove and they go away… I hate drl

Good job!

Minor stuff, but fun to play around with. . .
OEM Fogs:
Fogs OEM (APR 22).jpg

New "Euro" style:
Fogs NEW (APR 22).jpg

(Yellow lenses, hint hint)

Also installed a new anti-theft device. . .
Sticker (APR 22).jpg

Well, the sticker ought to deter a few would-be mopes . . .)

Paul

Also installed a new anti-theft device. . .

Well, the sticker ought to deter a few would-be mopes . . .)

Paul
it doesnt deter gen z's right :D if so, im comin up there!!! new set of lights for me;) jk

Back